Did you see Jupiter on Friday? It was SO BRIGHT. My family and I were leaving the Hale Center Theater where we were watching my uncle Mark and our friend Brett in the Drowsy Chaperone and I couldn't believe the bright light in the sky was actually a star. I used my fancy star chart app on my phone to figure out that it was Jupiter. I wish I had had my telescope so we could look at it. My cousin Breanna was in town from the Bay Area with her son Ethan and my aunt Jeanine and so we went out with my mom and my grandma for my grandma's 85th birthday. We were also celebrating my mom's, my niece Maggie's and my birthday, which are days apart from each other. It was a great night and when I got home at about 11:40pm, I just had to check out that star. It was so bright!
Rhett had left the back door slightly ajar for me before he went to sleep and so I put down my purse and my phone and grabbed the telescope. My kids must have done something to the eyepiece because I couldn't quite make out anything through the lens. But it was a beautiful night, just a slight nip in the air and the sky was so clear. So I gazed at the sky for a few more minutes and then picked up the telescope to go back inside and get to sleep. I guess Rhett had also locked the door when he left it ajar but I hadn't realized it and now it wouldn't open. I was locked out. But no problem...I would just go through the garage.
It was locked, too.
So was the front door and all the windows.
I tried not to panic and to think clearly, quietly praying that I would figure this out. I could sleep on the lawn or in the car if I had to, I guess. Well, my car keys were on the kitchen counter and the car was locked.
I could throw rocks at the bedroom window and try to wake up Rhett or the boys...the boys would probably be scared and Rhett would never wake up because he takes Ambien and sleeps heavily.
I could try calling but the home phone is turned off and Rhett usually shuts off his ringer before he goes to sleep. Maddie would be up in an hour or two and could wake Rhett up but did Rhett even turn on the monitor or did he just assume I would be home in time to turn it on myself?!
I looked around and noticed that not one neighbor had their lights one. Of course not, it was almost midnight. The only thing I could think of was to start walking and find someone to help. Help me do what?! I don't know.
I got to the top of the hill and noticed my friend up the street had her house lights on. I knocked on the door and yelled that it was me. I heard her kids talking and crying and she came to the door. She had just gotten home from Classic Skating and asked me what was wrong. I told her the story and she asked for Rhett's number. I gave it to her, even though I knew he wouldn't answer. She dialed and then started talking to him and handed me the phone. Come to find out, Maddie had just woken up and he was texting me to ask me where I was when the phone rang and he only noticed that it was ringing because it was in his hand. The ringer was off.
It was absolutely HF's hand in having Maddie wake up to get Rhett up. She NEVER wakes up at that time. She saved me from having to sleep on the lawn and I learned once again how HF protects and watches over us. And how important it is to have a house key stashed somewhere to help avoid this kind of problem.


2 comments:
you crazy corn!
i can't even tell you how many times i have locked myself out of the house...so many times that having a key stashed is MANDATORY.
love you!
Little things can be such BIG miracles. Happy birthday in a few days.
Post a Comment