Sunday, July 15, 2012

Mementos

I enrolled Cameron in an acting class for kids ages 6-9 at the Scera Theater and had 3 hrs everyday to be in Orem.  I took the other kids to my aunt's house and helped my mom start cleaning out the garage.  One of those days, we went through multiple boxes and storage bin after storage bin of old letters, cards, pictures and many receipts, bills, programs, notes and so many other mementos that my dad couldn't bring himself to throw away.  We sorted through 17 storage bins that day...



It was an emotional time reading old memories, journal entries on napkins, letters to my dad and from my dad all scattered throughout the last 5 decades.  We questioned and wondered about some things, knowing we wouldn't ever know the answers since no one was alive who knew the stories.  I wanted the job to be easy and business-like, but it ended up being bittersweet and sometimes emotionally overwhelming to be confronted with so much wonderful family history.  I even found a birthday card that I had written for my dad when he turned 59 that he had saved.  





The poem inside was more than I could handle without crying but it made me think that maybe I was inspired to write it so I could read it now in the future and feel so much love...


Now that you are 59
We say that it has come the time
For you to relax and take a break
Go on a trip, have a steak.  
But don't forget all the good times
That you've had and spent your dimes.
High school friends and college woes
Army days that kept you on your toes.
Wife and kids and ups and downs
Lots of new stuff and many new towns.
Kids growing up and all that we saw
New little ones calling for "Grandpa!"
Major pains and a "Major" desire
for the time that you will finally retire!
Through all this, you've stayed young at heart
and kept us all laughing - very smart!
We've learned so much from our amazing Dad,
to love, to laugh, to give and be glad,
to work, to play and fight a good war, 
to study and pray and so much more.
It's hard to get out all we want to say, 
but for now, "We Love You!" and "Happy Birthday!"




No comments: