I haven't ever celebrated Veteran's Day like I did this year. It was absolutely because of my dad and it has changed the way I view this holiday. I don't think I will go easy on celebrating it ever again. I read H is for Honor to the class and it took everything in me not to bawl on every page.
We made paper medals and the students wrote about Veterans in their families. We talked about the government, the constitution, and sang patriotic songs. We read about the Vietnam Veteran's Memorial and I showed them my dad's retirement video. We had one of the student's dad come in and speak to us about his time in the army.
I sat in the back of the classroom while he was speaking about basic training, serving the poor people in the country, traveling, surviving harsh conditions and earning medals and I couldn't help but silently weep the entire time thinking of how immensely blessed I am to have had a dad who gave me so many life experiences from being in the army, who sacrificed so much and who showed me how to love everyone around me. It was just more than I could handle...I was overwhelmed with his spirit that day.
The day before on Sunday, my mom planned a wonderful memorial celebration for my Dad for Veteran's Day. We all met at the cemetery at 4:30pm and it was the first time we had seen the headstone. It was perfect.
Mom had put a wreath and little flags up and had brought 13 balloons, one for each grandchild.
I brought the family tree that I made in a frame to show everyone.
Then Garry said a very spiritual and wonderful prayer that made us all cry.
We were overwhelmed by Dad's spirit.
Mom gave each grandkid a red, white or blue balloon and they let them go at the same time saying, "We love you, Grandpa!"
Then we all went back to mom's house for a great dinner.
We even had the most delicious desserts -
banana cream pie, carrot cake and pumpkin pie, all Dad's favorites.
It was such a fabulous day and I'm so blessed to have such a great family. I'm excited to continue this tradition every Veteran's Day, not only in my classroom, but also with my family to celebrate and honor my Dad's life.










2 comments:
what a special tribute...i love this so much. and i need a copy of that book! i also need some pie...
Catching up on blogs, this was a great entry. Great job sis.
Post a Comment