Sunday, August 30, 2009

Small Town Encounters of the Weird Kind

A week or two before school started,
I knew I would need to get into school every second I had
and that would mean even taking the kids with me once in a while.

So I loaded them in the car one day and started the trek to Eagle Mtn.
I figured stopping to get some food would keep them from bugging me for food at my classroom, so we pulled in to good ol' Arctic Circle in Saratoga Springs.

Now, my first mistake was going to Arctic Circle,
but they had a play place and I was hoping it would get some play into their system for when they were in my classroom and not allowed to play.

My second mistake was talking loudly (read normal voice) to an old friend from our ward who I saw there, telling him that I just started a new job at the school out there.

A very local couple overheard me and started joining in on our conversation.

"Did you just say they got a new principal out at that school?"

Surprised at first that this lady was addressing me,
mostly because she was not even really close to where we were talking
and mostly because I had not been talking to her,
I stumbled over my words a little
but told her that I had said that I was a new teacher
but that, no, it was the same principal.

She then went into a very lengthy conversation
(mostly with herself and her husband)
about how that principal should retire
and that he was "ignorant and rude"
and that none of the parents like him
and how she was hoping that they had replaced him already.

I asked her if her kids went to that school
and she told me oh, no, that they lived in the City Center
(which I hear is even more WT than EM itself,
although just a mile or so outside the main part of town)

Another lady sitting next to her
with three kids screaming and running around the play place
then joined in and talked about how she is a member of the PTA
and informed me that they have "a lot of power"
and should do something about it.
The first lady was suddenly on her cell phone
telling a neighbor how the principal was still working there
and that she had just met a new teacher
who didn't know about all the things he had done.

I stopped listening to her conversation on the phone
as soon as I realized she had called that neighbor
just to talk about what we were talking about.

I was flabbergasted and looking around with shifty eyes
wondering if anyone else was hearing this insanity.

What a weird, WEIRD experience.

Did this small insignificant news just travel through space and time to a fourth party
as quickly as her finger could press speed dial?
What could possibly happen in this town if it was actually something worth talking about?
Were these small towners really that desperate to have something to talk about?
Is my business going to become everyone else's business?

I already knew the answer
and the anxiety began to sprout in my stomach.

So a few nights ago, I googled myself and there it was.
My blog.
In all it's glory, first link in line.
Frightening.
Especially after this weird encounter at the Arctic Circle.

When I started this blog, it was the first summer of stay-at-home-mom-hood.
When I had put in my year leave of absence.
And was struggling with the changes happening in my life at that time.
And was needing to talk about it.

I didn't think about anyone else finding it
because it was mainly to keep in touch with my bff Jen
who had just moved to LA
and talked me into starting a blog in the first place.
And to keep in touch with a few friends and family who I didn't talk to very often.

But now, two years later,
I might have four faithful people still wanting to follow along and read up on my life and times so I wanted to give you the heads up.
It's private time.
I don't need small town crazies reading everything about my life because let's face it,
I write anything and everything here.

And for those small town crazies already reading this, please call your neighbors and tell them what I have said because I don't like repeating myself.
Heh heh.

So will I need to invite you?
I can invite up to 100 people in a private blog
so I would like 100 comments on this post to know you are there.
If you are commenter #101, thems the breaks.
Better hurry...

17 comments:

*Lisa* said...

Oh my gosh, how crazy. Glad you made it out of there!

I would love to remain a blog reader of yours, but I will tell ya right now you'll have to maybe post on FB or something when you update. I hate private blogs because you never know when someone updates (via Google Reader). When Google changes that, I will be fine with it ;)

*Lisa* said...

Oh, one more thing, in case you change your mind. On you blog, if you go under your Settings tab, under Basic, you can change "Add your blog to our listings?" and "Let search engines find your blog?" both to NO and you will not come up in searches. Try to find my blog on google, and it doesn't come up. People can still see it if they know it's there, but people aren't going to find it in a search for your name or something you posted about. :)

Charlotte said...

i want to be a reader. :) caturner729@hotmail.com

thanks!

AMiller said...

Wow - sign me up.

Unknown said...

invite me
you know who i am

just jen said...

i better be the first person you invite...

or at least the fifth?

i can't believe that craziness, and i love the WT abbreviation.

madness, i tell you.

Elisabeth said...

I've just made sure my blog can't be searched, check on where and who is reading my blog, made my pictures so they can't be copied. So far so good. I also don't like private blogs, but I totally understand in your situation.

Jessie Nielson said...

Pick me! Pick me! Please delete my email address after...

jessienielson@gmail.com

I will never get over some of the crazy parents I have met in my days of teaching. One thing I don't miss for sure. I made a vow to never be one of them.

Emily A. Gunderson said...

egundy@gmail.com

I'm so glad we didn't move to EM. Spanish fork is a bit cowboy, but WAY better!

Love ya.

Ladyfox said...

What about me? I want an invite.

lovelyladyfox@gmail.com

I love to check up on you.

Tarawhiti Girl said...

OMG You take care of yourself out there in EM. Paul said you are doing great and I'm so not suprised. Your classroom looks absolutely stunning. I love reading your blog. Cheers Nancy

nancytarawhiti@gmail.com

Katie said...

oh those crazy small towners! invite me please! now that I never see you, I have to blog-stock you to feel like i know what's going on in your life :) my email is katie.rainer@gmail.com.

Jeanette said...

My situation is about as bad, except that I live in the neighborhood where I teach, so when I am giving my kids the death stare in sacrament meeting, it's the talk of recess the next day *Sigh*

Not to mention I can't go ANYWHERE without running into kids from school, many of whom know me, but I have no clue who they are because lets face it, with over 800 students at our school, I can't possibly know them all by name...right?

Anyway, I would like an invitation to your blog. And I thought of you the other day when I was meeting another author and wondering who you would have dressed up as to meet David Farland (Wizard of Ooze) =0P

Jeanette said...

Ooops forgot my email
scrapnchick at yahoo dot com

Lilianne said...

Include me, Allison! liliannewright at gmaildotcom.

Love reading about your adventures!

martha corinna said...

Um, I need an invite too. marthagriffiths@gmail.com

I was going to type something about your encounter but I should probably wait until you go private:)

Cherie Dick said...

Hey, although I don't comment much or update my own blog much...I still read what you are down once-in-awhile because I am a "small-towner" just checking up on you :D haha. You make me laugh Allison So, invite me to your private world :D I'm glad you seem happy and that so much has worked out for you! I need to come say "hi" my brother lives in Shadow Mountain...

cjdick@gmail.com