Cameron is finally getting back into his normal sleep schedule and something weird is happening to me - I am dreaming! I haven't had dreams that I could remember for a LONG time and now, for the past two weeks, I have had and remembered multiple dreams every single night.
I read online that dreams, among other things, are a way for your subconscious to express stress and anxiety to your conscious mind. I guess I have had a lot of stress because listen to some of these condensed versions of the dreams I have been having...
1. I had my third baby in this teeny tiny cottage with a midwife who was a man (midhusband?) and had a pet kangaroo in the delivery room (what? that's normal). I, of course, was having another c-section but he cut a 2-3 inch wide section of my stomach off. It was like a wide belt of my flab cut right out. They took the baby to the nursery and I asked them please not to stitch that fat part back on but just to put the top and bottom part together, like a full body lift. I would have such a tight, lean body FINALLY. I was so excited about it. The midhusband regrettably said he couldn't do it without a plastic surgeon present. In my mind, I thought - well GO GET ONE! But didn't say anything. Later, I went to the "nursery" to go get my new baby BOY. I went down into the low-ceilinged basement of the cottage and walked through a number of small rooms with twin beds lined up wall-to-wall. The sheets were all pulled down, as if the maid had come in for turn-down service. I found a nurserymaid and asked where the cribs were. She said that because newborns don't roll, they just put them in twin beds. I told her I was here to get my baby and she nodded and came back with an 8 month old baby. "That's not my baby," I said with a DUH expression on my face. She insisted it was and I started to panic. She was going to try and pawn off someone else's baby on me! I emphasized that I JUST HAD the baby and it couldn't possibly be that big but she brushed it off and tried to hand me the baby. I became frantic and then woke up.
2. We were invited to a birthday party of a friend's son in the neighborhood where we lived in Park City. The party was in their elaborate mod-deco style home. The birthday boy was probably turning 9 or something and the party was packed. Each section of the home had different birthday stations. They were fancy things like make your own bruschetta with our fancy bruschetta maker, play birthday games with individual virtual reality machines, and then there was a very expensive card making station with fancy elements and thick, expensive paper. It was like the pages from a Martha Stewart Magazine or some expensive scrapbooking boutique. I was so amazed and intimidated and just felt sick being there seeing how exquisite everything was.
3. A friend came over to play board games with his wife and as I was explaining the rules to him, he acted very confused. I tried to make it simple and give him an example, "It's like multiplying 7x10, which is....?" He gave me a blank stare. "7x10? Of course you know that, right?" He shook his head slightly - NO. "How are you going to do your job if you don't know what 7x10 is?" His wife quickly changed the subject and then I left to go get more ice cream cones. I overheard her ask him a question and his answer was slurred and unrecognizable. I was horrified and knew she was drugging him!
I don't know... What in the crap is going on in my subconscious? I've had many other interesting dreams but none else of public significance. I also have had sore jaws in the morning like I had been grinding my teeth all night (for the past two weeks) and I have a muscle in my shoulder that has been twitching since Wednesday. I've even woke up in the middle of the night thinking Rhett was poking me continuously and intermittently in the shoulder only to realize it was that dang muscle twitching.
I wish I was still in Park City (once again) because a teacher friend of mine was really good at interpreting dreams. I need to call her....But I hardly ever have them, at least I didn't until two weeks ago. I have even taken a nap or two and have woken with a dream vividly still in my memory. And that is so unlike me. I have no memory. I almost would have forgotten that I started this post if I hadn't also forgotten to shut down the computer to go make lunch. I guess these dreams might be manifesting the stress and anxiety I feel about having another baby or having another c-section or about losing one of my babies or about Cameron's upcoming birthday or about teaching math facts or about friends' wives being shady and devious? Whatever. I'm sure these dreams aren't foreshadowing feast and famine to come but it sure has been exciting to go to sleep every night. I almost expect them now. So I'm off for another adventure.
Sweet dreams everybody!
(Here are some fun tidbins of information on dreaming..yes, Jen and Rex, I said tidbins)
*One-third of your lives is spent sleeping.
*In an average lifetime, you would have spent a total of about six years of it dreaming. That is more than 2,100 days spent in a different realm!
*Dreams have been here as long as mankind. Back in the Roman Era, striking and significant dreams were submitted to the Senate for analysis and interpretation.
*Everybody dreams. EVERYBODY! Simply because you do not remember your dream does not mean that you do not dream.
*Dreams are indispensable. A lack of dream activity can mean protein deficiency or a personality disorder.
*We dream on average of one or two hours every night. And we often even have 4-7 dreams in one night.
*Blind people do dream. Whether visual images will appear in their dream depends on whether they where blind at birth or became blind later in life. But vision is not the only sense that constitutes a dream. Sounds, tactility, and smell become hypersensitive for the blind and their dreams are based on these senses.
*Five minutes after the end of the dream, half the content is forgotten. After ten minutes, 90% is lost.
*The word dream stems from the Middle English word, dreme which means "joy" and "music".
*Men tend to dream more about other men, while women dream equally about men and women.
*Studies have shown that our brain waves are more active when we are dreaming than when we are awake.
*Dreamers who are awakened right after REM sleep, are able to recall their dreams more vividly than those who slept through the night until morning.
*People who are giving up smoking have longer and more intense dreams.
*Toddlers do not dream about themselves. They do not appear in their own dreams until the age of 3 or 4.
*If you are snoring, then you cannot be dreaming.
*Nightmares are common in children, typically beginning at around age 3 and occurring up to age 7-8.
*In a poll, 67% of Americans have experienced Deja Vu in their dreams, occurring more often in females than males.
*Around 3% of adults suffer from sleep apnea. This treatable condition leads to unexplained tiredness and inefficiency
(info taken from www.dreammoods.com)


5 comments:
That is really interesting! Last night I had a dream about going back to high school to find the perfect diaper bag... and when I found it, it was $400 and I forgot my 2 (TWO) babies at home all alone. There was also a hair salon in the school. My interpretation: I have been searching for MONTHS for a perfect diaper bag (one that I can afford) with no luck, and I have been thinking about getting my haircut, and I am afraid that if I have more than one baby, I will forget about one or the others basic needs? Not sure about the high school thing. I also remember thinking that the high school must have hired out interior decorators since I had last gone there... which must mean that I don't like the way my house is decorated?
yeah for "tidbins"!!
i am a total dreamer, i have a dream almost every night. colin gets tired of my tales that i tell him every morning.
one of the most traumatic ones i ever had was when i found out colin was cheating on me(in my dream) and when i confronted him his reply was, "it was just "olympic sex" it didn't mean anything." i woke up so angry, as if it had really happened.
crazy!!
colin still laughs about it.
I too am a dreamer. They are so vivid that they often effect how I treat Elliott or other people during the day until I can distinguish dream from reality.
My mom and Heather are also vivid dreamers and I tend to see theirs more as premonition and my mom's were so often accurate that I decided it is time to start being more attentive to them since my life awake is so chaotic and unfulfilling.
I am also a big time dream manipulator. If I don't like what I am dreaming, I rearrange the events. That can't be too surprising to find out based on my awake personality.
So, I am glad you are dreaming, I think they are cool and informative.
Hey Allison,
We have a blog. We are going to be posting stuff from our trip to Guatemala this summer. You will have to check it out.
Liz
http://liztothejosh.blogspot.com/
Funny you should blog about dreams, because I had the weirdest one last night! Here is the ultra condensed version: I went to get a hold of my credit score for some silly reason and realized I had a really low score. The reason: I hadn't been listening well enough in Sunday school, so they reported me to the credit bureau. How crazy is that?! I was all bent out of shape in my dream and wanted to scream and scream, but obviously couldn't let out a peep being asleep and all. Crazy, really crazy. None of it makes sense at this juncture.
Anyway, dreams, silly dreams.
Post a Comment