
No other constellation is as bright or familiar as Orion's belt and it is especially prominent during the winter. The powder, skiing, cold fresh air, holidays, cloudy days, everything in slow motion, having a reason to stay indoors and cuddle up and get all cozy - all are things that I love about winter. But one of my favorite things above all of this is how brilliant and clear the stars are during this time. I guess they always are, but when I see a cloudless night sky and the stars blazing in the winter, it is breathtaking. Orion's Belt has been one of my favorite constellations since I was in junior high, thanks to a long roadtrip and a brother's friend's all night conversation about the stories and legends behind the constellations. I especially always look for the star that is above the belt with a yellow hue named Betelgeuse. In Arabic it means the "shoulder of a giant" and among many interpretations of what they originally meant as the pronunciation, my favorite is pronounced like Beetlejuice (Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice!). It is an orange-red supergiant (630 times the sun's radius) and might possibly be the next supernova (totally looked that up). 
Maybe its because of its magnitude or its color but it has always been a sign of comfort to me in many situations. I saw it again last night in all its glory and just stared for a while. The little bits of heaven on earth like this provide such a comfort to me and help me feel connected. Of course, if you really sit and ponder about how massive this universe is and try to think why and how and....you'll go crazy. But the stars are beautiful and one of my favorite things. Just like silver white winters that melt into spring...
Friday, April 4, 2008
Sign of Comfort
Posted by
Mrs. Misses
at
9:03 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


5 comments:
I liked that. I'd go outside to look, but I live in Oregon, and we never see the stars!
I remember being on my mission in Russia and seeing Orion one night. It was very comforting to see something that I could see from home and realize I wasn't that far away. It was definately a slow motion moment.
I noticed the same thing several nights ago. There definitly is something about crisp cold clear nights when the stars seem so bright. I'll have to try and find beatlguese? (beatle-juice, yum).
I love Orion too, it's always the first one I find, followed by the big dipper.
i can never see the stars from my house...ever. bright lights, big city.
Post a Comment