Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Firsts

Brenden's birthday brought a lot of firsts these last few days...


...first breakfast of bacon, eggs and strawberries (notice there is not any bacon, eggs or strawberries left - sure beats pureed bananas or prunes anyday)...

...first "being bounced" on a trampoline (he actually did enjoy it, despite the look on his face)...

...first torturous big brother encounter...oh wait, that is far from the first time he has been tortured by his big brother...
(also note the first massive headwound on his noggin...I'm sure it won't be the last time he will bonk his head as he's learning to be more coordinated)

...first uncomfortable doze in his front facing car seat...

...first interest in the power of ROCK...

...but certainly not the last...
(he was actually trying to get in his turn on the drums of Rock Band)

...and first taste of a funfetti cupcake with frosting.
(I didn't get a picture of it, but it was also the first time he ever tried to blow on something.  Simply adorable.  Especially because it was so ineffective.)

I want to say that I can't believe he is already one year old, but so much has happened this last year that I guess I believe it. I re-live memories and remember events through the stages of the kids and especially this year with Brenden...
"My grandpa died two days before Brenden was born."
"We moved in 2007 when Bren was first born."
"I started my homeschooling job when Bren was starting to eat solid foods."
"Cam went through a long, frustrating sleeping stage when Bren was finally sleeping through the night."
"I sent in my letter of resignation when Bren was almost one."
"Bren started walking while Rhett and I were on vacation in Vegas."
...and so on and so on...

These little tags help me to pretend that I have a bit of a memory left and can recall things.  I can't. All the changes in hormones from pregnancy, miscarriage and 3rd pregnancy sure suck the lifeblood right out of that section of my brain.  But I definitely will remember his first year. My little baby bear is one year old and is such a handsome little boy.  Not much of a baby anymore. I can't imagine life without him.  He is so precious and special to our family.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, BRENDEN!

8 comments:

Jana said...

What a cutie! Happy Birthday!

Katie Riggs Hansen said...

I remember that I have seen you more in the past year than in the past 10 and a lot of that is because of Brenden so I am happy he is here too.
You do a great job with your boys, they are lucky to have you.

Rachel Leigh said...

He is so adorable! Happy Birthday Brenden! Funfetti cake is my favorite! Hope he enjoyed it as much as I do!

just jen said...

yeah!

time to start on the next one...mwah ha ha...

what a darling post about your beautiful baby boy. i really beleive that second born babies are sweeter than first borns.

and remember, i am a first born so that is saying a lot.

Nichole Bruce said...

There is no better way to celebrate your birthday than by stuffing your face with funfetti cupcakes, YUM!!
Happy Birthday!!

Lindz said...

Happy Birthday Bren! He is such a handsome little guy. Where did last year go?

Paul said...

I can't believe he's one! What a year, huh? You do an incredible job with those boys. Happy Birthday, Bren!

Brooke said...

He just gets cuter and cuter each time I see him. Reading your memories totally made me think of mine with Tyler, I have so many that come to mind when I think about everything that has happened since he came. I love little boys@