Raw emotion and filter-less narrative coming up. DO NOT continue to read if you are going to mock, ridicule or patronize anything I say (OR THE LENGTH). I don't have the emotional energy left and I know there are some of you mockers out there, maybe even reading too much already.
...as kids and teenagers, we make plans. We decide on future dreams and careers and they become the center of our universe. At least mine did. I went on a field trip to a Deaf and Blind School when I lived in Colorado and decided, as any 6th grader would, to devote my life to kids with disabilities and that my new found career was going to be to help these children. As a senior in high school, still motivated by the impact of that field trip, I was deeply inspired by a Special Ed. teacher as I was a peer tutor for other students with disabilities and decided that this was going to be my role model for the kind of teacher I wanted to become. I wanted to be just like her in every way and went to college and worked hard and labored for my own tuition and triumphed as I felt the sweat of the toil pay off and shape me into my own version of what I had so admired. I wasn't at BYU to go into education just to have something "to fall back on," like so many of those little girls had touted in their opening presentations. It wasn't about working my butt off and doing it all on my own so that I could get married at 20 and have kids 9 months later and THEN in 15 years start teaching! No offense to anyone who has done just that but it was NOT my desire or hope or plan. And if anyone knows me, really knows me, I have plans. I plan things. I need to follow a plan. I live with those plans. I usually have plan A, B, C or whatever, but its planning that really fires me up, gets me going. I've been planning since 6th grade.
I always had the PLAN to have children and get married (opposite order, of course) and do all those things that I know I have been created to do, but teaching and working and creating and inspiring and helping and TEACHING was my one first love. I started teaching the day I graduated from BYU and hadn't stopped until last year.
8 years.
So many different opportunities, places, schools, kids, teachers, faculty, experiences...8 years.
My heart just aches thinking of the call I got this week from my old school district to send in a letter of my final resignation.
8 YEARS! I'm sorry to those of you who don't understand the magnitude of that time frame, but that has been a LONG time!
Giving it up has been one of the most difficult things I have had to do. I even took a year leave of absence this year, grasping onto a microscopic speck of hope that I would be able to go back to my old job. And now I sit here in fits of tears knowing that there is a different PLAN for me. Not crying because I reject the new plan or I am sad for the new plan, but because it is different and scary and I feel inept and its not the old plan that I am so comfortable and happy with.
And to top it all off, Bren got hurt today at the babysitters. And more than sadness or anger I am feeling GUILT for not being there when he got hurt. He is fine and the scratches on his face will heal, but the pain in my heart for leaving someone else to be the mother will continue to hurt me. Not because I CHOOSE to have someone else be the mother, but because I have to.
Instead of devoting my life to a full-time career like I have done for so long and putting so much time and energy into it all, I am switching gears and learning how to be at home and care for my babies. I want to be home. I can actually say that and finally mean it, but not do it because its not possible right now. It hasn't ever been possible. That's the hardest part. When I finally miss enough at home and determine that missing anymore would be detrimental, I can't be home. I want to be home, I NEED to be home. It is a new life for me. It's been a very difficult adjustment.
But then I have had dreams about my old school and the teachers and in the dreams I felt like they didn't need me and my head hung at realizing how replaceable I was. I have sobbed in these dreams like I was mourning the loss of a family member and I have woken emotionally exhausted. I have realized that a lot of my sadness is related to my need for the communication and dialogue and daily interaction that I used to have in a school environment. I miss being at school. I want to be at school, I need to be at school. But I can't be. Not anymore.
Not like it used to be.
This whole year has been a rebirth for me....like my own Spring because being a mother is now finally becoming more real. I feel like I have been holding on to the old me, even when Cameron was born and I was learning how to reprogram my life for a child. I even now still feel like I don't know how to let go of my selfishness and my yearning for the times when I used to have my own sleep schedule, my own afternoon boredom to enjoy, my own mess to pick up, my own time in the bathroom. Its not that I regret having children, I just regret not feeling like I am the mother I want to be. I know there is time and always improvements to be made, but it is slow getting there. I have held on for a long time to the hope that I could do it all - be the Mrs. and not miss things anywhere else - as a mother or a teacher or a wife or a friend or a daughter. And the plan is that I'm not going to be able to do it all. Some things have to give and the sooner I accept it, the sooner I can really become what I had hoped for so long ago. Just a really great ME. Whether that's as a teacher or as a mother or as a wife, it needs to be great and I am SO FAR from it. The adjustment is more difficult than I ever thought it would be.
Can you believe that I am THIRTY and just now kinda figuring these things out? I mean, I know Oprah said that she's finally just figuring out who she is at 50, but kids add a whole different element! THIRTY??
...And then the question is - do I dare even publish this? I guess it's like confessing. I guess I have to admit that I didn't pick being a mother first. I didn't. I'm not that girl. You might be that girl, but I wasn't. I guess I'm starting to find my life, as I am "losing" it for my children. I'm finding that its a balance and a struggle and ok to still need to be ME and live as ME, even if the "me" is new because instead of only curriculum and Parent/Teacher conferences, it is also dirty diapers and Signing Time videos and sleep schedules and the Naughty Chair and endless laundry and picture books and SO MUCH MORE sprinkled with life lessons and teacher speak and homework hints and academic/social expectations and more school supplies in my basement than I will ever use. I guess I can maybe do it all, in a way. But I will need to do a lot more planning....
Monday, March 31, 2008
WARNING!!
Posted by
Mrs. Misses
at
10:52 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


16 comments:
just make some more of your "lists" and you will get through this trying time.
having other people around you to support you and validate your fears is such a big part of working, and when you stop you really don't realize(at first)that you are going to miss it. at least that's how it was for me...
i just miss having adult conversations and people who liked me for me, and not because i have a clean house or i make really good brownies, or even because i throw a really great party. i miss having people that were my friends just because we happened to sit next to each other 40 hours a week. it was so much easier not to have to go out and actively seek out friends...sometimes i feel like i am dating other moms...but that's a whole other blog post...
i guess what i am saying is, hang in there, life will get better.
it just has to.
I think that you are greater than you think you are! I really admire that you are seriously searching for the plan that is right for you and your children. And it doesn't make you any less of a mother because you are having a hard time letting go of the things that you love so much and have been doing for so long! I would probably be the same way if I were in your situation.
Wow, talk about voicing the thoughts that have been floating around my head for the last 12 months! I have been a wreck lately knowing that as long as I am working I will long to be at home and as soon as I come home I will wish to be working. I love my job, and my coworkers have been so flexible with my time, but it's just not the same as being available 24-7 to be with your kids and make their peanut butter sandwiches and take them to preschool and playgroup and the doctor!
I don't have a solution. But I feel your pain.
AS a mother I understand completely. Especially since I had Addy so much later in life. It is difficult to mourn the loss of the "old" you knowing that the farther life goes along the less and less you know that person. I still have dreams of my past too, I miss the old times. Have you heard the soung by Trace Adkins "Your going to miss this"? It's such a good song and speaks so much to what you write. I know what you wrote was very personal but I commend you for being able to put it out there.
This was a good post!! I still have a hard time thinking about how hard it is going back to work...but I am also excited. I guess when you are a working mom you will always be spilt between the two. I know that you are a good mom and you give everything to both your kids and work. That is all that matters.
I just thought I would tell you, I love you. No advice, just that.
I so greatly admire your honesty. I chose to stay home with my kids two years ago and it's been "the best of times" and "the worst of times." Different can be scary, but it can also make you stronger. And your children lean upon you as their pillar of strength.
I can relate to a lot of what you said. I get so frustrated while I am working because I feel like I can't progress in my career and I am frustrated at home because I can't do all the things I would like to with my house and for my child. Being a chick is rough because we put so many expectations on ourselves and get mad if we don't meet all of our own high standards. Hang in there....
Hey, I think a lot more people can relate than you think. I would grow frustrated because I would hear so many woman say they loved being a mom while I was pretty torn. I loved my babies, but I wasn't all that ecstatic about being home 100% with them. Things changed though. After I had Abram I began to love 'just being a mom'. I'm not sure if it was time or that I really did want the true desire to be a great mom (not saying that I am great), but it feels so much better. There are days, but for the most part it feels good.
I don't know. But the change did come.
I don't know what to say really. I never really had a career that I loved that I was sad to quit for kids. I can't imagine. Hang in there. If you ever want to hang out, I am a loser and do nothing most days.
Thanks everybody. I really wasn't sure if I even dared put it out there and bare my soul (although that's just me - I usually bare too much anyway). I knew I would want to remember this struggle and realize the progress made and how much it will have shaped who I am when I look back on this time. I am so relieved and content putting it out there and knowing that I have much support from people who know where I'm coming from. Thanks.
So beautifully put. Sometimes I think, "Surely life's got to get easier than this!" and then I realize that's not how it was meant to be. It's hard...but fortunately there is goodness in it all. Sometimes we've just got to search for it. Sure love ya!
If anything you're sorting through the true emotions that you are feeling, and this will help you through it all. Having kids always brings you to a place where you are no longer living for yourself. From those I've talked to, family, friends, and spouse, you should know you're in good company with many that feel similar to how you do. You're doing great! The last few years I have truly understood the admonishment to "endure to the end". As a kid, I was like "of course, that's easy, why even have a commandment like that, it's silly". Then I grew up, kind of, and have more responsibilities than ever. It can definitly be a struggle, just hold on, and lean on us when you need to. Loves sis.
Hello. You don't know me. I am a friend of "just jen" in So Cal. I taught for four years before I quit my job. It has been the hardest thing for me to do in my life. I too was at BYU in education and truly wanted to be an educator. Similar experience to you in my childhood, actually. I'm sure you don't want advice from someone you don't even know, but...I read this great book after I decided to stay home called "I Am A Mother" by Jane Clayson Johnson. She's the LDS news journalist that quit her career to be a mom. Really good book, and it's a short read. Good luck with your transition. I must say, that for me, it has gotten a bit easier as time passes and I would not trade the time I have with my daughter for anything!
Hey allison
Every once in a while I like to read what everyone is up to. I hope you don't mind. Someday i'll get my own blog going. I've been thinking about you and what you might be experiencing. you're right, 8 years is a long time. I can't imagine how many students you have influenced in those 8 years. I think you expressed that you thought maybe nobody would even remember you from your school and that you would be easily replaced. well, no one can take the memory of you from those students that you taught. I still remember the teachers that impacted my life heavily. And even if they were special ed students that are not able to exercise their memory now, their spirits will remember you and your influence in the life to come. I just think that you are incredible and the influence you had on those students was incredible and will not be forgotten. Now you have the opportunity to make incredible memories with those most important in your life...your children. Anyway, God bless you (I enjoyed your testimony this last month). thanks for your great example.
Cherie Dick
Alley,
You made me cry(I know, I'm such a baby), but I could feel you and I know how hard this was for you. That was very beautiful, and I'm also very proud of you for taking the time to do some self-discovery and find out what is best for you. Not many people do that and I admire you so much for doing that.
You're a great person, Alley!
Post a Comment