(Yes, of course that's me in the gorgeous long blond hair. And I did have more fun that night).
Obert Skye launched his fifth book in the Leven Thumps series - Leven Thumps and the Wrath of Ezra. It's a great series and I have loved it for a number of years. I cajoled him into coming up to Parley's when I worked there and he gave us a fabulous presentation about imagination and believing in yourself. He even gave me an extra large t-shirt to cover my swollen, ripe fetus and a super cool purple lanyard with a fancy key on it. His book, Leven Thumps and the Whispered Secret had just come out so it was very special. I had waited two years for him to come and it was worth the wait. He even mentioned that there may be a movie in the works!
Th girls and I had been working on summarizing the first book and practicing our reading strategies by putting together a short film using iMovie. We created the characters, wrote the scripts, filmed and edited it, complete with sound effects and voice overs. It was quite the production and we finally finished it last week, just in time for the Wrath of Ezra launch party.
Almost.
We actually left the house to make it to the party on time with the movie compressing and only 45 minutes to go. We didn't want to miss anything at the party so we had to leave. I had the movie completely finished at 2:30am the night before, but as I clicked to save it ONE LAST TIME -
IT ERROR-ED AND I LOST THE WHOLE THING!!!!
Don't ask me how it happened but it was devestating. YES, I cried, ok? It was SO MUCH WORK! Come to find out, the last copy that DID save was from the day before so all was not entirely lost. I had completed about FIVE extra hours on the final version so I did my best to make up those five hours the next day, which was the day of the author signing.
Reluctantly, we left the movie with 45 more minutes of compression and got Clover's ears and my kilve and Leven's backwards Wonder Wipes t-shirt and headed off to the party. We wanted to be able to hand him our little amateur masterpiece, but decided we could find another way to get it to him. The girls were immediately in character the second we walked out the door and we had a blast talking in voices, coming up with Fooian zingers and screaming at the thought of seeing Sabine following us. I felt like a kid again and it was so fun.
As we got back in line hanging our heads in shame (it shouldn't have been THAT hard - it was for kids!), we met a cute family of three young boys with their mom. Two of the boys were twins and the youngest had seen the author at his school that day. They tried their luck at sinking the flyer, but only their mom was successful - TWICE! And then, while we gave up and moved to the author's line, the youngest GAVE US HIS FLYER. What a doll! Seriously we were so excited. It was such a sweet act of kindness and all three of us were touched. The girls even commented that this was the best night EVER and we had just barely gotten in line to see the author! I love that....


6 comments:
who is she? and who is the author?
What? What? What is it? What is it? Why is your hair so long and golden? Are you a princess now?
I am sorry I missed your birthday!
I still love you!
N
Hey, so glad you finally found us "Winter" =0)
Can't wait to check out your blog!
Awesome! What a story! I hate loosing hard work on the computer! Evil.
So...what is Leven Lumps? I'm still very confused....
N
oh the purple...
and i guess all the other stuff, you have to read the book to understand, right?
'cause i don't get it.
This is so awesome! I don't know what half the post meant, but I guess you had to read the books ;)
You look great! Love the wig.
Post a Comment