Sunday, January 4, 2009

Heaven and Rice Pudding


This is what I saw out my window as I was driving to go visit my dad last Monday in ICU. It was amazing, beautiful and hopeful. It filled me with hope for a great recovery. It gave me the sense of heaven all around me. It reconfirmed my knowledge of a loving Heavenly Father watching out for us.
And it's not a bad shot, considering it was taken through the closed window without looking as I was driving away from it on I-15. My fabulous new Canon Rebel is amazing...

It also made it a little easier to see my dad all wired up like this.
It was the second day that he was awake, but he was awake. That was most important. Then Rhett and I went and saw him on Thursday and he asked Rhett how work was and how his mom was, which was a great sign that his memory is improving. We brought him some pictures the kids had scribbled and a whole bunch of photos of our family, adding them to the numerous cards and pictures from the grandkids that were already taped up on the cabinets at the foot of his bed. I had forgotten that had I made him some rice pudding and promised to bring it next time. He pretended to be mad about it but kissed me a million times. He loves rice pudding.

Paul and I also went to see Dad on Saturday. Garry showed up a little while later, unplanned between the three of us but great to have him there. (It's so nice to have family within hugging range, especially at a time like this). I had forgotten the rice pudding again but decided not to mention it. Maybe he wouldn't remember and I could make a fresh batch for next time. He didn't mention it.

Dad was asleep when we got there and we didn't want to wake him. It was about 4pm. The nurse said she would wake him for dinner around 5pm so we sat in the lobby and waited. When we went back in at about 4:50pm, he had a full face mask on for his sleep apnea. Not very fun to see him like that.

Dinner came and she took the mask off and called to him. He woke up and made a silly noise when he saw us, indicating that it had been a chore to be sleeping and was happy to have the mask off. Or maybe we looked worried and he was trying to shake it off of our faces by being comical. He continued to be silly, a bit erratic, and more his usual self. It was good to hear him remembering people, events and details of our lives. We left after about 45 minutes so that our mom could go and see him too. She was watching my boys for me so I could come.



Being in the ICU still worries us a little, but they say he should be out in a few days. Well, they have actually been saying that for a few days now but nothing has happened yet. Time has been a little off throughout this situation. It's hard to remember when we were coming or going and how things have progressed. We always think things should be different because of how much time has passed, and then we realize it actually hasn't been that much time.

Thank you for all your concern and your prayers. Your comments and words are part of the healing and it's so nice to hear them.

1 comment:

just jen said...

get better garry green...you of the slobbery kisses!

HAHAHA!