
"Sometimes I come up here at night, even when I'm not fixing the clocks, just to look at the city. I like to imagine that the world is one big machine. You know, machines never have any extra parts. They have the exact number and type of parts they need. So I figure if the entire world is a big machine, I have to be here for some reason. And that means you have to be here for some reason, too."
I finished reading this book aloud to the girls I homeschool and this specific excerpt jumped out at me. I think I reread it three or four times. It has so much air and life around it. The young boy, Hugo, in the book is the one who said this as he was all alone in the world with no family and only the one friend, a little girl, who he was talking to. I love the idea of the machine being compared to the world with nothing extra, just clean, perfectly picked parts, all moving and working together to produce something that is needed, with a purpose.
The story in the book is so fascinating and mysterious and exciting and at the end, there is a great revelation and it is so satisfying. One of the characters in the book was a great film director, Georges Méliès. In a random act of synchronicity, I was curious about his reality and career after we read the last page of the book. It was a fictional book but that character was too specific and so I did a google search on him....
Just two hours earlier, the girls and I started our Greek Mythology unit. We talked about the 12 main gods and goddesses and I had them each pick one they were most interested in to do some extra research on. K picked Persephone and A picked Aphrodite, both perfectly predictable and fitting to their personalities.
So we continued with math and lunch and word study and then onto finishing The Invention of Hugo Cabret. Fast forward to my interest in Georges Méliès and the google search that brought me to his IMDB page. There, in the list of his many French films in the early 1900's was Les Hallucinations du Baron de Münchausen or Baron Munchausen's Dream!


3 comments:
me loves me some synchronicity.....it makes us feel that there is meaning to our random lives, right?
I never watched Baron Munchausen....I suppose I should then =)
love you and thank you for your wonderful comments on my blog I know it was a little crazy but you did a wonderful job of feeling me out the smallness of our deconstruction of love, I thought it was changing, but it never was, it's the same as it ever was...
i have never seen that movie either, but it sounds very interesting.
and that book sounds like i must read it.
and i wish i lived closer to you, so we could talk about it all...do i even need to write that?
i miss you, and love you.
am i the lesbian lover you're talking about on nate's blog? ;)
To the MOON!
Post a Comment