Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Overnighter

My dad was given a pass to come home last Saturday night for an overnighter. It was mostly just to see how well he could get around and take care of himself at home. He went back Sunday afternoon but will make his escape from the VA Hospital today.

I went and stayed the night with them on Saturday, to give my mom moral support and help out with Dad however I could. Things went pretty smoothly and my dad was even up to going to church the next morning. We arrived at church at 9:05am to avoid massive attack from old friends but the conducting member of the bishopric did mention his presence so everyone turned to look and see. Dad even got up and bore his testimony, thanking everyone for their prayers and gave thanks for the blessing of the miracle of his life and great recovery. He was walking with a cane and of course had his oxygen. We didn't get home until about 40 minutes after the meeting was over because so many people wanted to shake his hand and give him a hug and say hello.

I'm so thankful for my dad's recovery and the blessing of his life. He still has a way to go but he has inspired us all to live our lives with more faith, more humility, make better choices concerning our health and to love and cherish every moment we have together. He even made the comment that he is so thankful for a second chance to do more with his life, like temple work.

I always find myself feeling short-tempered with my boys and with Rhett and even saying or doing little things out of frustration or stress that I regret later. Lately, though, I have been thanking God everyday for the blessing of just one more day with them. I know they are gifts and we are not guaranteed a certain amount of time with them on earth so I have been trying to live each day with gratitude for one more day to do better, to be a better mom and to make each day special, making positive memories for them and for me. I came too close to loosing my dad at Christmastime to not feel a little more conviction at making each day special, with a lot more love and a lot less regret.

6 comments:

Crystal Hadlock said...

That was the sweetest most touching blog entry ever! It made me tear up. I am so glad your dad is doing so much better and was able to come home. And hopefully he will be able to stay home soon.

Katie Riggs Hansen said...

I am so happy to hear that things are going better, I have been wondering.

Dad's are good to have, I sure like having mine around.

*Lisa* said...

I'm so glad he's doing better. I hope he continues to improve every day. Thanks for sharing this with all of us- so much that I needed to hear.

just jen said...

no regrets, so true.

that is the best way to live.

too bad that as i write this both of my boys are crying themselves to sleep because i yelled at them because i was sick of them getting out of bed and whining.

you have inspired to go and tell them i love them.

thanks.

i hope your dad continues to get better. love you!

Katie said...

I am so happy that you have your daddy home!

Jason said...

So glad to hear your dad came home for a test run. Hope that becomes permanent soon!