Friday, September 5, 2008

Coolest Invention

I had the best idea for an invention today. It came to me as I had my arms full of four different bags, some trash from the floor of the car, 3 sippy cups of fermented juice and a kid on my hip and was trying to open the front door with the keyless entry bleep bleep thing on my car keys. I didn't realize what I was even doing until I wondered why the front door wasn't opening.
Oh yeah, they're my CAR keys.

Wouldn't that be the coolest invention? It would automatically unlock the front door,
deadbolts and all and maybe even have a feature where the front door would swing open.
Sheesh.
I CAN NOT wait for that one.

I also think the coolest invention is daycare.

Earlier today, the aroma of fresh organic produce filled the air as I was strolling into Wild Oats. That's right, you heard me - strolling. School was out for me and I had at least two hours before I had to pick the kids up from daycare.

I wasn't rushed in with a diaper bag full of bribery, a huge unnecessary purse, a grocery list and cell phone in my one hand trying to tuck in the arms and legs of my kids with the other.

I wasn't feeling the panic
of knowing I probably only had 20 minutes or so before someone would start whining, fussing or trying to escape and that in trying to balance the treats, manage the cart, keep up the interesting and stimulating conversation and trying to find the right groceries, that I would forget something or more easily - have a nervous breakdown.

Yes, I was strolling, with no particular destination or reason for even being there. All I knew is that I didn't have any obligations and it was the best feeling in the world. I tasted a sample, took my time in the customer bathroom, reveled in the sweet smell of the hand soap and complimentary lotion and looked at things that I had absolutely no intention of buying like organic dog toys and tiny, ridiculously-priced bottles of herbs.

This laissez-faire affair even made it easy for me to say WHY NOT when Cam suggested for the billionth time this month that we go to IKEA. He spent an hour in the Playland while Bren and I put things in the cart that we didn't know we needed until we got there. Two and a half hours later we had spent 50 bucks and were on our way to wherever because it was no big deal.

Daycare helped it to be NO. BIG. DEAL.

Things have been a BIG DEAL for too long.

It was nice to breath easy for once.

And then, cut to me trying to hold WAY too many things in my arms when we got home and not having that keyless front door entry bleep bleep thing invented yet and you know I came down off that cloud real quick.

8 comments:

*Lisa* said...

I have TOTALLY done the same thing- tried to open my front door with the buttons on the car key. I love that I'm not the only one!! Bless you.

Your shopping trip sounds heavenly... I can't get out alone anymore. I always have a baby connected to me ... but at least he's easy. Usually I end up trying to do shopping and stuff with all three kids during the day anyway...

You're better than me, at least you try to have stimulating conversations with them while shopping. I'm usually just telling them to "stop that" the whole time, while trying not to scream or pull my hair out. Maybe I need a daycare. lol

*Lisa* said...

P.S. I like your cool map and feed things at the bottom. I think I need those on my blog.

just jen said...

i cannot tell you how many times i have stood at my front door and wondering why it was still locked...ii had already pressed the button, like twenty times.

invent that and become rich, then you can afford to have your kids in day care all day while you just shop...wouldn't that be great?

Nathan said...

Wow!
I am laughing so hard...
you are so you, Allison. I love the way you see the world so much. Gosh, I miss you...
I love reading and hearing your voice in my head...
I love it and miss you!
Thanks for the birthday greetings on Facebook. I had a good day.
Give my love to the kids and Rhett AND TO YOURSELF from me!

Nathan said...

p.s.
I am bloggin' again.
XO
N

Downey's said...

It truly is the best thing when you can shop in peace- that is why I go to the store after Elle is in bed!

Brooke said...

I love thinking of new inventions (even though I OBVIOUSLY never do anything about them.) I think that is a great one. I also love hearing what people do that makes them so happy--Wild Oats and IKEA huh? I was trying to decide what I would've done with my time.

Shannon Abbott said...

I would love to have a voice activated door. Then you wouldn't have to do anything!!!