Saturday, September 27, 2008

Lies 1.1

I took the plunge and decided to update my iPhone software to the new 2.1 version.  I was very nervous to do it because I have been holding off and haven't updated my software for almost a year.  I had version 1.3 and was able to get all the free apps I wanted, but I have resolved that it is the time to try all the new things Steve Jobs wants to offer.  


Why would you care, you wonder?  Why should you even keep reading?  Well, it was the beginning of the many years of bad luck....

I was in front of my computer, uninstalling programs and backing up information as I was getting ready to take the plunge.  I had set Brenden on the computer chair in the other room and turned on Curious George.  He doesn't know how to get out of the chair so I left and hoped to quickly start downloading the update before he starting whining for me to get him down.

Cam came in needing a bandaid from an earlier battle wound at the park and was a bit of a distraction. As I carried him down from the sink, where I had been doctoring the wound, I told him to go check on his brother since it had been a few minutes since I had left him.  

I could hear them in there laughing and Bren squealing.  I plugged in my phone, clicked download and pushed out of my chair to go see what was so funny when suddenly, Cam was 
S-C-R-E-A-M-I-N-G!  
It was that scream he screams when he's incredibly, honestly scared or hurt.  I rushed to him and met him halfway.  He was hysterical!  I could barely understand what he was trying to tell me.  I tried to get him to calm down and finally understood that something had hit his chest and hurt him.  He had a few scrapes on his chest and it was red.  I told him to show me what had hurt him and he led me to the computer room.  Bren was there, still sitting in the same place and smiling and pointing at George on the screen.  I looked over and the full-length mirror that had been leaning against the wall was SHATTERED.  I asked him what happened, and the lies came streaming out of his mouth without hesitation...

"Brenden got down off his chair and came over to the mirror and SMASHED IT!"

1.  Brenden wouldn't have gotten off his chair.  
2.  He wouldn't have been able to smash the mirror in to as many pieces as it was in. 

I looked right into those big brown eyes and told him that was a lie and I knew it.  I asked him the truth and he started crying more.  In between sobs, I gathered that he was being silly running into the mirror and out of the room and back in and out and the final run was really hard and smashed it.  

THAT I believe.  

So after a few more tears, the whir of the vacuum and a long, serious talk, Cam apologized and I held him for a while.  He felt so sad, he kept telling me and I explained that's how you feel when you lie and how WE ALL feel when he lies.  He lost privileges and went to bed early, but I'm sure this won't be the last time he tries to blame something on his brother or breaks something. 

I wasn't about to tell him that smashing the mirror would bring bad luck.   That's just an old superstition, right?  

...I'm seriously hoping this won't jinx my software update.

3 comments:

just jen said...

no bad luck for you...it's just an old wives tale. i have broken at least 3 mirrors i can think of, and i am fine...at least i think i am.

quick, knock on wood!

poor cam, he's just figuring it all out.

Nathan said...

I was certain the whole time that it was going to be something about the lies Apple tells us about the ease and longevity with which their products function....but I remember the fist time a sweet faced innocent I had yet to have heard a lie from told me a falsehood....it was disheartening.
I miss you.

Lindz said...

What a story. You are good mommy. I can't wait for all that to happen to me.