It's just little and I don't know how I even started realizing it, but now I notice it CONSTANTLY, almost OBSESSIVELY! I hear it on tv, in movies, in music and from daily conversation. I read it in the newspaper, in blogs, online - all over! And it's just a little thing but I can't help but wonder what has happened to our English language.
Who refers to people. That refers to groups or things.
Example: Jenni is the one who lives far, far away.
Nate is on the team that plays for the other side.
Brenden is the child who acts like a Tasmanian Devil around my house.
It was the bipolar episodes that caused me so much grief.
I have observed that 95% of the time, people generalize and use THAT in every situation.
It is very frustrating to know that this rule seems to be obsolete nowadays.
I hope that we have all learned a lesson today. Thank you Jen giving me the go-ahead to critique the way people use English incorrectly.
Monday, November 17, 2008
A little peeve
Posted by
Mrs. Misses
at
9:31 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
Oh my gosh!
Thank you for the deep deep deep down long and all around decent chuckle this post gave me...
Thank you...
I am just so happy that I made the example sentences... like Juan or Mei Lin in the story problems from 5th grade Math...
Its a privilege.
Thank you.
amen to that sister...
and i am also privileged to have been in an example sentence.
You crack me up. Now I'm afraid to write more because I might be critiqued. :o
I will try to be more disciplined.
But, in my defense, I've already said my IQ has dropped significantly since giving birth to 4 children. Can you really expect me to remember when to use who and that?
Post a Comment