I love this short scene from Hairspray...it says so much.
"And what about this one?"
"Seaweed's got a GIRL-friend!"
"Shutup, Ainez!"
"Oh, so this is love.
Well...love is a gift.
A lot of people don't remember that.
So you two better brace yourselves for a whole lot of ugly coming at you from a never-ending parade of stupid."
I can't even tell you how many times I have seen that movie now that we own it. Whenever I am downstairs doing laundry, Bren fusses for it. He is not satisfied until he sees Tracy wiggling in her bed at the start of Good Morning, Baltimore! I am afraid I am to blame for that one. But it's a great piece on love. Where would we be without it? The world definitely needs a lot more of it. Even if it is different and misunderstood, like in this scene from Hairspray. And look how far we have come from that fear and discrimination of a different kind of love. Pretty far...but the world could definitely use more love right about now.
"Seaweed's got a GIRL-friend!""Shutup, Ainez!"
"Oh, so this is love.
Well...love is a gift.
A lot of people don't remember that.
So you two better brace yourselves for a whole lot of ugly coming at you from a never-ending parade of stupid."
And speaking of love, have you watched Ellen lately? I think I have a little crush on her and her white-girl-dancing converse. She's fun. I haven't gotten the kids to watch her yet because they need continuous singing and dancing to stay interested, not just a little snippet at the beginning. They need something like HSM3. I can't wait to see it for a third time. I'm sorry, I can't help it. Have you seen Zach Efron lately? And he's a hip kind of singing and dancing guy. Bren could totally get into that (Cam already has, even though he did ask to leave the theater after the first song Now or Never was over, not to mention every five minutes after that throughout the entire movie...it was him either asking me to leave or to play a certain wicked awesome part over again, which there were many of).
And Bren better be an artist, too, because that kids makes more creative messes than I can keep up with. Just tonight he had spooned some of his applesauce onto the table in front of him and then poured the remains of his milk into it and then was swirling it around with his cup turned over with such a serious and involved expression on his face. It was a mess.
I am a tired momma drowning in creative mess.
But with great music.
And a lot of love.


7 comments:
You inspired me--I am listening to "without love" right now:
"without love life is like the seasons without summer
without love is rock n' roll without a drummer...
living in the ghetto..."
why is it making me cry, right now?
ahhh...love is SO awesome! We do need to make more of it!
And I LOVE how you transitioned from talking about discrimination of different types of love to talking about Ellen. Very smooth and very subtle. +) I hope I don't get you in trouble by pointing it out.
And about Zac Efron. I feel like a dirty old man, but he is pretty friggin' hot. Yeah. Listen, I would never want a relationship with him--he is too young and that just wouldn't be right, right? But he is an adult--I can enjoy his...umm...youthfull beauty, right?
I love the mother you are, Allison, almost as much as I love the friend you are.
Creative messes are awesome!
p.s. the word I'm about type for the word verification is "bedin"...
thoughts?
Hey there,
I talked to Bre and she said you guys talked about Raw. I bought the book she recommended and it is awesome. I think you will love going Raw. It has been amazing for me. My only advice is to just start and if you mess up go right back to being raw. Good luck!
Liz
Love your references. Gotta love that 'Hairspray', Ellen, and Zach Efron!
That's my favorite song on Hairspray! I'm so glad you wrote out that scene.
haha...i think like nate does.
it kind of seems there is an ulterior motive for this post and i love it!
Yes! I love Hairspray. Amazing music, and you can't beat how Travolta says the word "Iron". We've watched it so much that we have our own little inside jokes about the stupidest little things in the movie that other people probably don't even notice.
And I second your motion for more love and tolerance in the world, starting in California! Half the people here are being persecuted and reviled just for voicing their opinion in a free election! Businesses being boycotted, people forced to resign their jobs, "anthrax" threats (even if they're fake) on churches? I'd say these actions definitely qualify as a "parade of stupid." And from a group begging for tolerance and love and equality. Ah, so one-sided.
And Ellen is hilarious.
And Efron is dreamy. I admit.
I need to see Hairspray... and HSM3. It took me forever to even see the first two. Dave's not a fan of any of that stuff...
Love Ellen too!
Post a Comment