Thursday, March 12, 2009

Brud-ah


Brenden has just started being interested and excited to play with his brother, 
who he's affectionately started calling 
"Brud-ah."  


It is so adorable!  


It's also an extreme relief to me that they can keep each other busy and entertained.  
I am not a one-woman show as much anymore.  


Bren can also say - 
mama
daddo
gramma
paul
papa
socks (which sounds like a slavic swear word)
nana 
pie-appo (pineapple)
cheese
wadda (water)
hi cool (high school - when he wants to watch HSM3)
cacker (cracker)
juuu (juice)
podda (potty)
saddah (CD)
yeah! (in response to anything you guess that he is saying correctly)
cool
cah (car)
kuck (slavic truck)
jacka (jacket)
boot
puhpoo (purple)
appo (apple)
gasses (glasses)
hat
eeeep (sleep)
eat
and so much more


and all the words that he says in his nose -
Blues Clues
shoe 
Shrek


...which is partially why we were concerned the last time we were at the pediatrician.  
He says some words up in his nose and through his throat as if his mouth can't open.  I can't describe it but it concerns me.  He also wakes often in the night (a possible sleep apnea problem, which is hereditary) and also snores.  


This, as well as his fifth ear infection in 6 months, all concerned me enough to mention it and concerned the pediatrician enough to refer us to an ENT.  

We went to the Primary Children's Hospital 
and Dr. Grimmer recommended Brenden get tubes in his ears, 
especially after seeing dull fluid collecting after finishing another antibiotic last week.  
He was also surprised at how large his tonsils were.  
I saw them too and they DID look exceptionally large. 
So he also thought it would be best to get his tonsils out and have a partial adenoidectomy.  
An adenoidectomy?!  
And just the night before I had read on the internet that too many pediatricians and ENTs were recommending unnecessary adenoidectomies!!  
What to do, what to do...  

I still don't know what to do, but we have scheduled his tubes in
 and his tonsils out on March 26th.  
We will take a family pre-surgery class which the hospital offers 
and Rhett will give him a Father's Blessing.  
I hope both of these things help ease my anxiety because I am FREAKING OUT.  
It's a horrible feeling to see your baby in a situation 
where you know he will be in pain and you can't stop it.  
(Not like this one above - it was hilarious and he was having a blast!)

But it will hopefully alleviate a lot of future pain so it's all worth it.

...right?


3 comments:

Charlotte said...

what a cute boy! i was imagining some of his words with a boston accent. a-dor-able. i hope all goes well with the surgery. they'll be outpatient, right?

congrats on shrinking! what is your secret?

Shannon Abbott said...

Ummmm POOR LITTLE GUY!!!! I love all the pictures. He is looking so grown up! Congrats on the weight loss. I hope to do the same when I have this baby.

just jen said...

the adenoids are HUGE!!

i think you are doing the right thing by going through with the surgery, it can be scary but more for you than him.

remember connor and his surgery?

it will be okay.