Wednesday, April 29, 2009

I Dreamed A Dream

No, this is not about Susan Boyle, but about the dream that Rhett and I have been dreaming since we were married seven years ago.  We have talked about it and put it as a disclaimer in most sentences we have uttered.  We have dream built and drove through potential neighborhoods and never had the the guts to ask if our dream could come true....
Until now.

For the past few years, we have done our best to get out of debt, raise our credit scores, put away savings into a tax sheltered annuity and looked at the kinds of places we would like to live in.   After being turned down for a mortgage loan while we were living in Park City, we have been determined to make things different (which, applying for a mortgage in Park City may have been the problem in the first place).

For the past few months, we have been looking at the homes around us. 
Just for fun.  
We especially had our eye on one particular house that was being built near our home now.  


A few weeks ago, this fancy home that we kept eyeing was finished and had a For Sale sign up.  
We always drove by it in silence, not daring to utter the words because of our past experience.  At least that's how I felt.  
I was skeered.  
And then, one day after church, Rhett said it, 
"We should call about that house."  

Why even get our hopes up?? 
I thought, 
but agreed that it was gorgeous and would be an amazing home for our family.  
We called the owner on Friday and were able to check out the house on Tuesday night.  
It was even more amazing and tempting from the inside.  

We hadn't even looked into finding a lender and weren't really planning on it until we saw how great it was inside and especially until the owner of the house casually mentioned the name of someone in our ward, Rick, who could get us a loan.  
Rick's wife went to high school with me and their daughter was in our Sunbeam's class.

That was a little weird and coincidental.  

We also asked why this place hadn't sold yet and he said that he has shown it to MANY people and actually had an offer but the financing fell through.  
Interesting...

The next day, Brenden had a doctor's appt and when we pulled back into the driveway, Rick's wife was out on a walk with their daughter.  I asked her if she could have Rick call me one of these days, and then suddenly Rick came walking up the sidewalk.  

Weird and "coincidental."

He called me after he got home.  
I gave him some information and before we hung up, 
we had a loan amount and a preapproval on a loan.
Amazing.

We then made a call to the owner and wrote up an offer on the house that night.
The next day, we were making plans for landscaping.
The next few days, we had placed earnest money with the title company 
(which was "coincidentally" owned by another friend of mine, Brad)
and had a date for the underwriting approval.

AMAZING!
Everything has been so smooth and confusing and lengthy and stressful and WONDERFUL.  With the tax grant and tax credit offered and an FHA loan, we are finally able to make our dreams come true.  It's also Rhett's job that is making this the most possible.  

We have been so blessed.

and dream with us
(hopefully ours, as of tomorrow).

(PS It has two walk-in closets in the master bedroom...need I say more?)


7 comments:

Carly said...

That's awesome! Congratulations! It is beautiful and I know you are going to LOVE it.

just jen said...

i am so glad for you!

now do me a favor, do NOT get any pets so that i can stay with you when i come!

{Elyse} said...

Wow, we looked at the exact same house 2 weeks ago! I loved the park right next to it, and the 2 walk in closets! Congrats and good luck!

Shannon said...

Wowzers!!! What a gorgeous house. Congrats!!

Lindz said...

I am so happy for you. I want to come see it!!It looks AMAZING!

Katie Riggs Hansen said...

I am so happy this worked out for you!

Anonymous said...

WOW! That is an amazing house and an even more amazing dream. Congrats. I am so happy for you guys. A few months ago I dreamed that we would move out of our studio, and it came true. We now have a cozy one bedroom. Someday we will own a house.

Also, I must say that I am so proud of you and your hot rawness! Way to go. You are amazing and you look amazing too! Keep it up. Raw changed my life and it looks like it changed your too. Way to go.