Thursday, February 21, 2008

Shlumpadinka

Inspired by my Shlumpadinka friend, Jen, we both watched the latest Oprah and lamented over the truth of it all. We (as mothers) get so busy taking care of everyone else in our lives that we often forget about us and we just wear what works, what is convenient, comfortable and easy, which usually translates to being shlumpy, frumpy, messy and unflattering. I have fallen into this trap many-a-time and would consider myself to have had some SHLUMPY moments. But never fear, Oprah has given us the ten essentials to have in our wardrobe to shield us from a day when we would just want to put on the same comfortable pajama bottoms,

pull our hair into a ponytail for the fifth day in a row,

or, heaven forbid and strike us down, throw on a Winnie the Pooh fleece jacket from Disneyland AND GO OUTSIDE OF OUR HOUSE WITHOUT CHANGING!

(PS That is NOT me!)
Here are the ten essential wardrobe items (as recommended by Lloyd Boston):

1. Trench
*buy one brightly colored or white
*it is light enough to layer under it and pack it if you're traveling

2. Black or white turtleneck

I have been opposed to these since seeing a college boyfriend in one on a crisp fall day. Maybe I need to realize that it doesn't have to be pumpkin orange or forest green but it can be sophisticated and hide what I don't want people to see. Oh wait, that would mean cleavage....people need to see that! (Right, Jen!?)

3. Black trouser
*if you are petite, it should be a tapered leg
*if you are "blessed" with curves and hips, a wider leg
*I am "blessed"

4. A tunic
*classic
*looks good on anyone
*great for every occasion
*nuf said

5. White jeans
*what? seriously?

6. Dark jeans
*phew, I can handle this one

7. Black dress
*can be short, gauzy, and layered over jeans
*can also be more formal and sexy

8. White denim or dark blue denim jacket
*I'm back to the - WHAT? Seriously??

9. Black skirt
*pencil or a-line

10. Cashmere sweater
*they mentioned you could buy them at J.Crew and they're not that expensive. Seriously? Did you know you just said "not that expensive at J.CREW??"

(11.) Shoes and bag
*white oversized bags are looking good year-round
*leopard print or juicy colored flats are a must and make any outfit

So if you see me around town WITHOUT my ponytail, a pair of leopard print flats and a white denim jacket, not only will it be shocking, but I'm also just attempting to shed myself of feeling like a Shlumpadinka. Good luck, you Shlumpas!

8 comments:

just jen said...

i can't believe you stole that pic from my blog...

and you are right, in my opinion, cleavage is always in fashion. long live the deep v neck!

all i am saying is that i need a whole new wardrobe and somebody rich to buy it for me...

Carrie said...

Okay, I don't think that I can "pull off" any of that. Not only will I be dressing like my Mom, but it totally isn't my style. But, on another note, I did go to Smith's yesterday... and I put on a pair of jeans, a coat (over my pj top) and a beanie on my head. That totally isn't my style either, I guess.

Shannon Abbott said...

I watched that also. I think they got to trendy with it. Meaning, I beleave you should spend good money on things like a coat, shoes, or a pair of slacks. I have some that I bought 5 years ago and still look brand new because they are well made. But don't spend alot on tends.... just go to forever 21. We need to go shoping!!!

{Elyse} said...

I am an avid Oprah watcher and happened to see that episode. I caught myself being a Shlumpadinka...wearing my pjs while watching that show!! I got ready for the day during the show to try and prove to myself that I AM NOT A SHLUMPADINKA!!!

Katie Riggs Hansen said...

I WILL NOT wear white jeans. What is she talking about? I don't ever remember seeing someone in white jeans and thinking, "wow, she looks so slim and stylish". No, no, no.

Downey's said...

White jeans--- WHAT?!! Can anyone really pull those off. I just with a flashy black turtleneck and a white bag with some leopard print flats-- ewwwww, ewwww, ewww. But hey, a trech coat will hide anything. It was fun to see you at card night!

*Lisa* said...

You crack me up. I need to watch me some Oprah, it's been a while.

Shannon said...

I totally watched that show too!!! I may not be a mom yet, but I certainly sport my Shlumpadinka look each day when I get home from work.

Thanks for your comment on my blog. I'll be reading yours as well. I love how your blog looks! I'm going to add your name to my list. :)