Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Fighting It


Good morning, son
I am a bird
Wearing a brown polyester shirt
You want a Coke?
Maybe some fries?
The roast beef combo's only $9.95
It's okay, you don't have to pay
I've got all the change


Everybody knows
It hurts to grow up
And everybody does
It's so weird to be back here
Let me tell you what
The years go on and
We're still fighting it, we're still fighting it
And you're so much like me
I'm sorry

Good morning, son
In twenty years from now
Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
And I can tell you 'bout today
And how I picked you up and everything changed
It was pain
Sunny days and rain
I knew you'd feel the same things

Everybody knows
It sucks to grow up
And everybody does
It's so weird to be back here
Let me tell you what
The years go on and
We're still fighting it, we're still fighting it
You'll try and try and one day you'll fly
Away from me

Good morning, son
I am a bird

It was pain
Sunny days and rain
I knew you'd feel the same things

Everybody knows
Tt hurts to grow up
And everybody does
It's so weird to be back here
Let me tell you what
The years go on and
We're still fighting it, we're still fighting it
Oh, we're still fighting it, we're still fighting it
And you're so much like me
I'm sorry


Thank you, Ben Folds, for so eloquently Rockin' the Suburbs and singing what I have been trying to articulate for a few months now.  This has been the soundtrack to my life for the past few weeks.  I listen to this same album every time I am cooking any meal and I especially connect to this song.  

It DOES suck to grow old and I feel like I'm still fighting it.  I had a long conversation with some good ol' friends of mine this weekend about how it is to be a parent and I realize that I am so much like my parents.  In some ways, it is not a good thing and I feel like I'm trying to fight it but I just don't know how.  I don't want to screw things up, but Jen said she read somewhere that "no matter what you do or how hard you try, you will negatively affect your children's lives in some way."  That could even be something you thought was positive, but could be done in such a way that it becomes negative.

Anyway, just saying that parenting IS sunny days and rain.  Sometimes you need a soundtrack to make it a little better and this is mine lately.  What's yours?

2 comments:

just jen said...

so sad, but true.

the only thing that keeps me going is knowing that i still love my parents (very much) in spite of all the craziness that was my childhood (yelling, screamimg, fighting).

all i want is for connor and logan to love me...when i'm 64.

made you sing it...

Katie Riggs Hansen said...

I do need to point out that you are both good parents and all you can do is love them and protect them. Whatever damage you may do it will be minimal and unintentional. These are lucky boys, (We were lucky girls) and they will go on to have their own friends and kids and struggle with the same things you are.
All is well, amen.