Thursday, July 10, 2008

Flower Child


I have been called worse in my life, but last night I was accused of being a hippie.  I wasn't sure whether to plead guilty or provide evidence otherwise.  


It all started after the FABULOUS baby shower for Natalie from my old neighborhood was over and we were hanging around talking.  I got the feeling throughout the shower that some nameless people might be quietly judging.  

Should she really be having a shower when this is her second baby?  AND her second GIRL, no less?  

The hippie in me was like, "Don't flip your wigs, Squares! Where's the love?" 

I tried to explain that I think every life is precious and should be celebrated.  There should be a special celebration like a shower for every child who comes into this world, no matter the number of children you already have or if it is your 4th BOY or whatever.  The celebration is not only for the child, but also to give the mother some special attention for putting up with all that women have to put up with as they are bringing another life into the world.  


MY second shower was actually a "Blessingway."  Ok, that does already sound a bit hippie-ish, but a Blessingway is a celebration to bless the mother and the child and provide a special, positive outlook on the birth. Here are some things I found online to explain it better - 

A Blessingway is one of the traditional healing ceremonies of the Navajo. A Blessingway is one of the most sacred ceremonies associated with pregnancy. Traditionally a Blessingway is a women-only ceremony, however many women choose to include men. A Blessingway is performed late in the pregnancy and is to give the mother-to-be strength for the deeply spiritual rite of passage she is about to encounter during her birth. Blessingway ceremonies create a sacred and safe environment where a mother-to-be can explore the challenges and joys that lie before her as she approaches birthing and mothering. Surrounded by the most important women in her life, she gains a sense of power, confidence, and support that will help her rise to motherhood.

It's an alternative to your traditional shower, but is still a celebration for the mother and baby, which I really wanted despite the fact that I already had one baby.

My 1st birth was very difficult and was not what I planned and prepared for.  I needed all the love and support I could get with my second one.   So I had all my girlfriends and family come and celebrate my SECOND boy.  Guests made birth bracelets that they would wear or keep with them until I had the baby as a symbol of their love, support and hope for a positive birth experience for me.  I also hired an artist to come and give all the girls henna tattoos. The henna was another reminder of the coming baby and to keep my birth in their thoughts and prayers.   
If guests insisted on bringing gifts, I asked them to please bring diapers or wipes - nothing else. The "shower" wasn't about those kind of gifts.
My chic friend Katharine opened her stylish and sophisticated home to us and we had a great time chatting and hanging out and eating.  It was just what I needed.  
That's all I'm talking about.  Celebrate the sacrifice and sacred gift that is Motherhood and the miracle that comes with each and every baby.  


 And if that makes me a hippie, then I am proudly guilty.   

9 comments:

{Elyse} said...

Your totally not a hippie! I think its a great idea to celebrate the life of every new baby, and you do it so well! Seriously that was such a fun baby shower!!

Shannon Abbott said...

Who was judging? I thought the shower was great and I loved all the ideas you have. Girl, you know how to throw a party. Sorry I had to leave early I wish I could have stayed. PEACE!

Katie Riggs Hansen said...

People are weird. In my humble, "yuppie" opinion there is not enough social time devoted to birth or death and this is a great social tragedy. (I use "social tragedy" to separate it from things like earthquakes, the plague or the return of 80's fashion)
It is common place to die, have a baby, get married or be diagnosed with cancer but it doesn't make it any less poignant for those directly associated. It is for each person to dictate how they will recognize and celebrate their right of passage (I love you Amy Ray and Emily Saliers).
I LOVED your Blessing Way, I thought it was sweet and very appropriate. I tried to do it for my sister but she think I am a hippie too. How off is that?
I did however have all the supportive women in her life make bracelets to wear and we all still wear them, 5 months after the baby was born. So thank you for introducing the tradition to the less organic of your friends.
I want to celebrate. Lets celebrate having friends.
No gifts please.

In closing I would like to say: Judge not less ye be blogged about and disliked by total strangers!

Elisabeth said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Elisabeth said...

Sorry that was my post above, not sure what happened. Here it is.

Ya know I love ya!

I also loved your Blessingway! It was beautiful party!

I want to have one someday. I'm wondering if I would get some similar quiet judging if I were to invite the neighborhood gals from around here. They already think I'm hippie enough since I'm a doula and all...I'm off to go light my patcholi incense and twirl in my hippie skirt!

Mrs.Mayne said...

I am so sorry that you got that impression, and I am so so sorry that I missed it. I have no doubt that you know how to throw an awesome party. I am sure Natalie really appreciated it.

Natalie said...

Wow what a great idea. I have never heard of a shower like that before, but it sure sounds helpful. Speaking of showers I wanted to invited you to mine, but I didn't get your address in time. Lindsey Hortin is throwing it for me and she just left for L.A. So if you would like to come here is the info. Sat, July 19th at 11:00 at 1882 W. 4655 S. in Taylorsville (it is at my Grandma's house)Anyway sorry for the informal invite, it is my fault for not asking you soonwe. I hope you are doing well!

BRINLEY & HADLEY'S MOM said...

Allison I think you rock. Hippie or not. Next thing you know you will be labeled a lesbian because you worship The Indigo Girls. I think that Blessingway is a neat tradition. I'm all for having people come and honor me and give me stuff. LoL. So I dont know if you have my blog address or if you just keep forgetting to check out how darn cute my girls are. Either way

www.bettisfamdamily.blogspot.com

Take care

Michelle aka Mich (back in the olen hippie days)

just jen said...

you are a hippie...and i love you for it.

even when you call me in a panic because you just gave your kids their immunizations...on accident.

crazy girl...that's why i love you.