Thursday, September 13, 2007

The Every-Second Type

I started out this year with no professional obligations but trying to create some - tutoring, piano or guitar lessons, and the irrational idea of starting a preschool. People do that all the time around here, but the idea of getting $60/month per preschooler was torturous. Needing money from any source, I was hoping that something would work out. A mother of one of my students from last year had mentioned to me during the last school year that I should tutor instead of teach because her friend makes great money doing tutoring privately and has a really flexible schedule. Knowing that I was not going to teach next year, she advised me to find a job just like her friend's because I could make almost the same amount as I do teaching. How do you find something like that? You can't really advertise (Need a tutor? Willing to pay me a lot of money and be really flexible with your schedule? etc)

Now here comes the freaky part....that same mom mentioned my name to this same tutoring friend who was looking for a replacement. So they both emailed me to see if I would be interested in this homeschooling position for their two daughters (ages 11 and 15) and the schedule would be really flexible and they paid really well....SERIOUSLY!?? When does that kind of opportunity fall in your lap like that?? Well, needless to say, I accepted the job and now work MWF, five hours a day. How could that get better? (Well, if I had Jenni's babysitter, it would be perfect...). We meet in a little cottage on their massive property (yes, they have LOTS of property, if you hear what I'm saying) that has a full kitchen and everything. It was the home of a polygamist family way back when (1900's). We cook meals and have an iMac and are learning all kinds of things.

The girls are fun and I have a lot of creative freedom and still have my professional time. It's a very ideal situation. I feel really blessed and I think I'm just that mommy who needs to work, for my own sanity and identity. I'm just not the stay-at-home-every-second type. And it's working out lovely...

2 comments:

just jen said...

you know that my mom always worked...and i think that if she stayed at home she would have been a different person(maybe me too...). whatever is best for you, that's all you have to worry about. getting away from my kids(messy house!) three times a week? sounds like a vacation!

martha corinna said...

Sounds like a blessing.
You know that my mom worked a lot with 8 kids.
I am not the multitasker that she is but I do sometimes day dream about having a little bit of life for myself. It really isn't realistic for me. My husband makes plenty of money (within reason). So there is no excuse for me to leave the home outside of a selfish one so there I am, and I'm learning to love it.
You have an ideal situation it sounds like.