
liberate (li-b∂-rāt) v. - to set free; release from control
My best friend, Frita Wilson, once told me that some people were born chicken. "Ain't nothing gonna make them brave," she said. "But others, they just need a little liberatin'." Least, that's how Frita told it.
-The Liberation of Gabriel King
Halloween is a time when some people love to go to Haunted Houses, watch scary movies or do anything else that will get a rush of fear in them. I hate being scared. I hate all of those things that other people love to do around this time. Hate. But I love to read aloud this book to my students because it is a great children's novel about facing your fears and is fun around Halloween time to think about things that scare you. I think some suspense is invigorating and exciting, but pure horror, terror or fear-inducing activities are absolutely not my thing. I personally, seriously think they can be evil. Evil, I tell you!
The Liberation of Gabriel King is a sweet book about two friends in Georgia in 1976 who spend a summer trying to face their fears. Gabe's list of fears is about three times as long as Frita's and has things on it like alligators, the local bully, riding his bike on the highway, Frita's basement, centipedes and most of all the fifth grade. Frita's list is shorter, but since she is the only black child attending a white school, she may have the hardest fears to overcome. I have cried, so embarrassingly, both times I have read it aloud. It is such a fabulous book and a quick read. Frita helps to liberate Gabriel from being a chicken and they run into all kinds of adventures.
So, of course, this idea of facing fears makes me think of my own fears. How can I be liberated from them? Dunno, but sometimes just sharing them helps. So I have tagged myself and am now tagging anyone who is reading this to post their own fears, just for Halloween fun. Don't get too carried away, especially if some things REALLY freak you out just talking about them.
1. spiders (Arachnephobia) - yes, this is an easy one because most people are scared of those freaky eight legs gliding across the floor, but when I lived in Colorado, someone got bit by a Brown Reclouse and there ended up being a huge crater where they were bit. They actually showed a picture of it in the paper or on tv or something. I was only ten at the time, but I have never forgotten that image and now see every spider ever created as a brown reclouse, out to kill me. Do a google search if you don't believe me. You will see the terrifying destruction to your flesh if you get bit.
2. murderers and rapists - every since I have become a momma, I hear every single creak, moan, breath and bump in the night. In the middle of the night, in the dark, all of these sounds are murderers or rapists out to get me and I find it very difficult to sleep without Rhett there, because, of course, I won't get murdered or raped if Rhett is there, right? I also find that a large fan, noisy humidifier or air purifying unit help to mask all of those sounds. I sleep fabulously as long as there is white noise.
3. heights (Acrophobia) - I didn't think this was a problem for me until I went up the rickety carnival slide steps to take Cam down the slide. I looked down and suddenly my stomach was in my throat. I even get a little panicked holding the baby close to the top of the stairs in my house. Which leads me to my next fear...
4. one of my children (especially the helpless baby) falling out of a window or a balcony or anything high - I would sometimes imagine it happening when Cameron was first born as I realized how helpless and tiny he was. I'm not as psychotic about it now, but I still think about it happening sometimes.
5. burying one of my kids or my husband (Thanatophobia) - I just don't want to be alive without them. If they have to die, I just pray that I will die with them. I have had dreams about it and the pain I feel is so intense that I can only imagine how it would feel in real life. I would add that I'm afraid to fly here, but really, its just the death that scares me so its basically the same thing.
6. some dogs - I know this is kind of silly, but after being bit by a friend's dog (PAUL!), I have always been leery around dogs. Maybe not seriously afraid, but nervous.
7. freaky clowns or maybe any - this is again from when I was little and was stupid enough to watch that clown movie, IT. Never again.
8. any scary movie - such as Don't Wake the Children or whatever, the Ring and especially a cheesy 70's movie that I watched when I was 14 - the Dark Night of the Scarecrow. The scariest part of this movie leads me to another fear...
9. freaky eyes or people looking in the window - the Dark Night of the Scarecrow was this cheesy movie about an adult with autism or some disability who's only friend in the whole racist hick town is a little six year old girl. The little girl gets killed accidentally and he goes to tell people what happened but he's too scared and can't talk very well and so they think he did it. He runs home to his momma who tells him that he has to play the "hiding game." The town mob comes with pitchforks and shotguns and bloodhounds looking for him. The dogs run to the fields and find him hiding in the scarecrow clothes, pretending to be the scarecrow hooked to a pole. The camera pans to his face, covered in a potato sack with jagged holes cut for eyes and that image of his freaky eyes, scared and confused and angry, will forever haunt me. I see eyes in windows and freak out even in normal circumstances when only people's eyes are showing. Yes, it seriously scares me. But don't be like Rhett and constantly try to scare me by just standing in a window frame with your face inches from the glass, eyes wide and whole body still. He takes advantage of my fear to get a good laugh. A creepy face in a window or scary eyes freak me out more than anything - either the real thing or just the thought of it.
BTW, they shoot the guy in the scarecrow clothes and the rest of the movie is him coming back from the dead and seeking his revenge on those who killed him. Don't watch it.
10. And then, there is the long list of personality flaws that scare me even more than all of these things sometimes, but I won't get into those. I just hope I have enough time to change and improve, before a spider bites me and in my pain, I trip over a dog which causes me to fall out of a window in a tall building, and on the way down, see a freaky clown's eyes staring out the window at me. Ok, I tried too hard on that one, but it was too tempting not to.
TAG! YOU'RE IT!!
PS Check out this website for a full, fun list of all kinds of weird fears.
http://www.angelsghosts.com/state_of_fear.html
Xanthophobia, seriously?
Some of my students have had Phronemophobia or Metrophobia or Hypegiaphobia.
And I guess I am a little Coprastasophobic (see an older post) - couldn't find "a fear of turning 30."
Wednesday, October 17, 2007
Liberatin'
Posted by
Mrs. Misses
at
4:17 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


14 comments:
I have some serious phobias too--who knew most of them have fancy latin-term/names? I can't do it--especially at night. The mind is a powerful thing. Maybe I'll do my list tomorrow during the DAY!!!
Hey you should join our book blog. This book sounds good and if you like to read there's lots of girls posting great books!
PS I found you through jenny espanet's blog. I'm her friend...I was blog staulking, sorry!
ok, i finally found your blog. I was looking for it because i heard it was cute...and it really is!! Good Job!!
i am too scared to wrie about all the things i am afraid of...it would be easier to write about the things i am not afraid of.
Dogs - since on chased me all the way down the block as a kid. Whenever somebody has left their dog chained up outside a storefront or something, I walk like 20 yards around it.
Horses - to me, horses are the scariest-looking animals on the planet. They look EVIL. Such long faces, and those eyes... once when I was trying to go to sleep I imagined that I turned over in bed to see a huge black horse standing in the doorway looking at me. Couldn't sleep after that. And that was only a few years ago!
Spiders - same reasons as everybody else. Killed a handful of black widows here in our backyard last week. Nasty. I would be willing to bet that spiders are the number one phobia in America. Everybody I have ever talked to says the same thing - spiders.
Losing one of my kids. I'm obsessed with it. Whenever I'm driving, I just look at all the other cars on the road and imagine them suddenly swerving out of control and that's it - horrible wreck. Could happen at any second of any day.
Huh.
Great. Thanks, Allison.
Please refer to my blog...
So almost everything you said there, I am also afraid of! Like word for word, you just read my mind. Especially #2... I think it is too many episodes of law and order. Anyway, I decided we are the same because you have the same exact thoughts I have on #'s 1,2,5,7,8.... Crazy! Anyway, love you lots, talk to you later!
hey alli! its mrsbraegger@hotmail.com. loves!
Don't even get me started on all of my neurotic fears b/c if you do, I won't be able to leave the house today.
I don't have any info on Nate, except that he sent my dad a song he wrote about a train he rode. Interesting.
Since my birthday is on halloween, people seem to automatically assume that I love scary things. Well... I don't. But on the flip side, I love to dress up (not scary) and carve pumpkins. Haunted houses get a little mundane, but I love corn mazes and pumpkin patches! So, all in all, I love this holiday. Also... if you talked with my husband, he would say that more than scared, I worry myself to death over silly things. I literally lose a lot of sleep at night over the worries of life. I love your blog, by the way. You are a good writer.
Alley Baiby--maybe I haven't told you enough how much I love, admire and respect you. If, in fact ,I have not--Allison, I love, admire and respect you so much for your incredible capacity for love, kindness and humor. I really dug your post on my blog about jonesing for some Nate....
I posted a new one about Finland so--go there..
As for my greatest fears... I used to be terrified of flying-- and, like you, I think it is just a fear of death (I'll get to that in a sec) but if you think about it what in the H-E-......? are we doing flying around 35,000 ft above the earth at 500mph in an aluminum tube? I mean come on!
What has helped me face this fear is to really study the miracle of flight--its INCREDIBLE that we actually can-and with amazing safety (statistically, that is) fly around 35,000 ft above the earth at 500mph in an aluminum tube...its really beautiful in many ways.... it still scares the he-- out of me and I am sure grateful for XANAX!!!
The death thing--of course I fear it--we must--it doesn't make sense, we cannot comprehend it....but as I think about it, my faith in an all knowing and loving God helps and truthfully, losing a VERY close friend who was my same age last fall, in a flying accident no less, has really helped me feel more okay with the idea.... it may sound callous, but I often think " Hey, if Matt did it, I could too..."-- that thought makes me cry sometimes-- mainly because of how much I love and miss Matt, but also because I feel so grateful for him--for all he did for me--but also for the kind of odd unexpected gift he gave me by going the way he did-- it kind of said--nate, get out there and see the world the way I did, don't let a fear of flying stop you...
Okay-- that's alot... Sorry its so long. Guess you brought up a good topic!
Love you!
N
Ok so I am scared of everything there is to be scared of. Some of the big ones are BUGS(just ask the Bruces...I am always knocking on their door when Scott's not home to take care of them.) MICE- I starting jumping and "floppin like a fish." I HATE scary movies cause I have to listen to Christmas music to have happy thoughts again. I am scared of mold- I throw alot a tupperware away. I've always been nervous around dogs since I was little but I'm pretty good now. I really could go on and on but I won't bore you.
Allison I have a SERIOUS phobia of people looking in the windows too!! Only because when I was a little girl my mom had a peeping tom and i caught him looking in our windows late at night!!! Scary huh?!?!
Post a Comment