

Today was a fairly uneventful day, ironically being my thirtieth birthday. It started out with the usual 4am wake up call, then 6am and finally the 7:30am actually-get-out-of-bed-because-of-an-alarm-and-not-a-baby wake up call. We got ready for school, I got the kids off to the sitters and I made it early enough to SLC that I could stop for birthday muffins, ice cream and other ingredients for my birthday recipe with my students. I hate to say it, but I kind of envisioned the "classroom" decorated with streamers and balloons or something that millionaires could afford for their new teacher who was hitting a milestone in their life. But there wasn't a thing. There wasn't a "Happy Birthday" or a homemade card or anything from the girls, but finally, after singing a rousing rendition of Happy Birthday to myself (1st sign that I should have recognized that the day was going to go a little differently than I thought it would), they picked up my cue and wished me a happy birthday. One of the girls even made a card with computer paper during the end of spelling, when she was supposed to be working. But really, what was I supposed to say... We made our lunch and our treat and it tasted very little like Applebee's, but it was sugar so we enjoyed it.
After school, I picked up the kids from the sitters, very uneventfully, and then was in the car with my two little guys without my husband and without a birthday plan in sight. I called my brother who lives close by, wondering what he was doing and hoping I could invite myself to hanging out with him, without sounding too desperate. He wasn't off work yet but said to go over to his house and hang out with his wife and his two kids (one is Cam's age), so I did and then ended up staying with the kids while Dale and Lis went to parent/teacher conference.
Then, I went home.
Yes, on my thirtieth birthday I babysat and then went home with nothing to do. Rhett texted me to tell me he would be late (AS USUAL) and I was feeling lower and sadder and more thirty. He called to tell me he was on his way home and I asked him what he wanted to do that would be fun. Should we go get something to eat? Should we just hang out at home (AS USUAL)...what?? He said McDonald's and I said, sure, almost in tears. I hung up and tried to suck it up because yes, it was my birthday but I didn't need to have a fancy party or get a new car or lots of recognition or homemade presents. Who needed the usual gifts I had grown accustomed to over the last seven years - the gift cards or the banners or the teacher birthday luncheons or birthday buddy gift or the humorous card signed by the whole faculty or the student-drawn cards or the surprise flowers on my desk or the candy or homemade cookies or the expensive (but distasteful) ornaments or ceramic figurines bought on Main Street or the outlets or the surprise parties (the ones where I wait outside the door while the parents decorate the classroom) or the....ok, I just actually WANTED those things and it just wasn't happening.
Rhett brought McDonald's and I started eating, solemnly, trying not to be upset and weakly smiling through my Big and Tasty. I thought I heard someone at the door and when I went to open it, suddenly, my brother Paul, Dale, Garry and their kids burst in the door with pizza, ice cream cake and balloons! Rhett had been so sly and so convincing. I was totally surprised and SO glad they came!! My brother Peter, who flew in from AZ just hours before, even showed up a little bit later. The kids played "school" in the basement with all my school supplies and we all plopped on the couch and watched "Big Trouble in Little China," an awesome birthday treat, courtesy of little brother, Paul (a classic movie that we all used to watch back in the day). We also played on our Mac and passed the iPhone and iTouch around. It was awesome and just what I needed (phew, it wasn't a total bust!). How cool that my brothers love their little sister. They are the best. Thanks, guys!
Friday, October 5, 2007
Miao Yin and the Lords of Death
Posted by
Mrs. Misses
at
10:51 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
if i had a million dollars i would have flown there and we wold have had the most spectacular day filled with mani pedis, and then lots and lots of food...i hope you know that!
happy birthday yesterday...tell that to claire.
Post a Comment