I am so overwhelmed with papers in my life! When I started teaching, it was the beginning of the end. I started in a Special Ed classroom where I was in paperwork up to my eyeballs. I was so busy and overworked and still learning and just never came up with (or had time to come up with) a system that worked to deal with all the incoming papers - junk mail, letters, flyers, information, newsletters, district paperwork, school paperwork, kid paperwork...I mean, I could go on and on but you get the idea and can imagine the massive amounts of different kinds of paper that I had. I developed ways to pull some things together into a system that worked for the most important papers and (thank heavens) was successful at what I did, but I always had extra everything else everywhere! And I know I could have been way more effective if I had a system that was even more organized, more feasible, more professional and took less time. They didn't teach that in college! They never said, "Be prepared for a massive onslaught of papers you won't know what to do with and here's how to deal with it..."
So now, I am married and working part-time and it feels like the papers and the mail and the JUNK has DOUBLED or even TRIPLED! Maybe because not only do I have it at school, but now I also have it at HOME, which is the ultimate anxiety. My home should be my sanctuary. So I bought this "file" at IKEA because it matches my computer desk and I was hoping it would help to keep the mail and papers organized. There are some things you have to keep, but don't really have a place so you file them, right?
Come to find out, the Swedes don't really know how to construct a filing cabinet because the hanging files don't fit. It's like an inch too short. So now I'm back to the same old problem - how do I successfully deal with the paperwork coming into the house? Who has a successful system? I've heard file by month, not by subject. Anything else? What kind of file or organizer? Am I the only one going crazy here? PLEASE HELP.
PS I'm not the one who reads the newspaper or the store ads and leaves them all over the house, which is another problem in itself.
Friday, March 21, 2008
The Bane of My Existence
Posted by
Mrs. Misses
at
2:12 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


8 comments:
yes, yes, yes....
where does all this paper come from?
i hate it, and i feel like there is nothing i can do to control it. when you find a strategy, let me know.
I HATE junk mail and clutter! I throw everything away. The only things I keep are bills and statements...and I keep a record of it on the computer and then file them by subject in chronological order. That way everything is easy to find. It works well for me...and if I do it during the day while Eric is at work, then he doesn't miss all the ads :)
Please help me too!!! i HATE IT! I know I have like three or four piles all over the house. I'd like to think I am an organized woman???
Ok, here is my suggestion.
Go to DI or someplace like that and buy a large filing cabinet. It needs to be big, and ugly is ok because you can hide it in the garage or something. Then, get a huge recycling bin of some kind. The reason I say recycling is #1: to save the planet and #2: it gives you the option to go back through and find things if you really feel you are missing them and they won't have food stuck to them.
Now, when you get mail, only set it on top of the filing cabinet, not the counter or the couch. Immediately throw anything that is not a bill into the recycling. Do you really need to look through ads? No, not until the paper issue is under control.
Now, organize your files by month, not by credit card, electric & such. Open all the mail, throw out anything that is not the bill itself or your folders will fill up too fast.
When you are really bored, go to this website and get taken off direct mailing lists (https://www.dmachoice.org/MPS/mps_consumer_description.php)and call the number on the back of catalogs to get taken off their lists.
That is the advice from the girl who just got her paper world under control.
Here is the web site again:
https://www.dmachoice.org/MPS/mps_consumer
_description.php
Seriously, I know how you feel. Only now I have turned so anti-paper that I throw things away that I really do need. Oops!
Great suggestions, ladies! I mostly am so happy that its not just me, but I definitely will try some of these things.
Post a Comment