Monday, March 17, 2008

Kenneth Terry Pulham


My grandpa was born on March 17, 1921 and he died two days before Brenden was born. Rhett and I went into the hospital Saturday April 14th, 2007 because the doctors were concerned about my low amniotic fluid. The day before, they had threatened the need for an emergency c-section but gave me a stress test and suggested I continue my bed rest and just go to the hospital the next morning. We did and were totally prepared for Brenden to be born that day but as I was getting my ultrasound, they concluded that he could hang out and still survive in that dry womb until Monday. As we left the hospital a little relieved and a little disappointed, I called my mom to tell her the news and she told ME the news - my grandpa had passed away that morning, less than an hour before. I was so sad but we had watched him suffer for the last couple of months after heart surgery and never fully recover so it was also a bit of a blessing.
I didn't realize it then, but when Brenden had to be an emergency c-section on Monday, I'm sure it gave my grandpa those precious hours to hold this little spirit and enjoy Bren in a way that he couldn't have done if he would have still been alive when Bren was born. This idea makes it an even sweeter and more cherished relief that Brenden wasn't born that Saturday. I know he was lovingly held by his great grandpa and others who were there with him. I am so thankful for the knowledge and testimony of the time they had together and the truth of a Spirit World and a loving Father in Heaven. I'm so thankful to have had a grandfather here on this earth who had so much influence on me and was such an amazing example to our family.

Here are a few of the things I remember about my Grandpa Pulham...

He was able to fix almost anything that was ever broke. And if he couldn't fix it, he had enough tools to try and figure out what was wrong. He was always in his garage doing something.

He loved music. He had such a fun collection of CDs and I always loved to look through them and play music. He was a fan of the Big Band but also of music that I grew to love because of him (like Simon and Garfunkel, the Mamas and the Papas and John Denver, to name a few).
He would always make us awesome chocolate chip cookies. We would eat them warm from the oven. I don't know what recipe he used, but they always tasted the same and will forever remind me of my grandpa. I need to find that recipe.

He loved to tell stories. If you got him started, he would tell you great stories of vacations of old, family fun, and his mission with Grandma to Australia.

He couldn't go on mission when he was young because he was caught up in WWII. His fighter pilot mission stories are also some of my most favorites. He was so talented at such a crazy time.




There are many other things that I loved about my Grandpa, but I mostly remember his amazing spirit and testimony. He gave the most sincere, loving prayers at family get togethers and I had the opportunity to hear him give many family prayers with just him and his sweetheart. They are such an example to me of true love and strength in a marriage.


Too bad he wasn't Irish born on St. Patrick's, but it helped so we never forgot his birthday.
I love you and miss you, Grandpa.

5 comments:

just jen said...

those are the most beautiful pictures of your grandparents...what a great tribute...

i always think of your grandma as very fancy, do you know what i mean?

Shannon Abbott said...

Grandparents are the best! I miss mine also. I love all the pictures.

Robby said...

Wow- he sounds like an amazing man. How neat that you are able to be the legacy of someone like that. I hope you guys are doing well. I still think we need to get together with the Hortins and play some games!

Brooke said...

Those are great pictures you have. My grandpa was a fighter pilot too, he got shot down on his 25th mission (but still survived after 2 years in prison camp.) He never talked about the war, I wish he would've before he died in '96. That's cool that he probably got to be with Brenden.

martha corinna said...

I love the pictures, the thoughts, and the sentiment. It is a very toughing tribute.