Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Dentophobia


When I was 9 or 10, I had to have a root canal on one of my molars. My dad was still enlisted in the army then and so I had the procedure done in an army dental facility. Not very fun. Since then, I have had an apicoectomy on the same tooth when I was in college and two years ago, another dentist said I would need another root canal ON THE SAME TOOTH!

When my wisdom teeth came in, I was thrilled to hear that I would only need one removed, but it turned out to be such a deeply impacted tooth that it turned into a traumatic experience making it so I couldn't go to work for 3-4 days and I lost about 6 lbs.

Those are really the only two major dental surgeries I've had, but almost every time I go to the dentist, they are insensitive, harsh, impersonal, vague and don't take much care when they are scraping my teeth or drilling or doing whatever.

When we lived in Park City, I heard there was a fabulous dentist in town and made an appointment. Three months later, my appointment finally came around and I reluctantly went. He could tell I was anxious and spent AN HOUR with me just to clean my teeth. He told me everything he was going to do before he did it and checked in with me often. I was such a baby and even cried as I told him I was a little afraid. What is up with that? I was a grown woman with a child by then!! He was great, though, and noticed that I might need to check my molar again with the root canal because there seemed to be inflammation at the root. He said that often dentists will tell you that you need a certain procedure just so they can make money off of it. Often, you don't even need the expensive procedures but he promised to be honest and only have me do the procedures that I truly needed. This was quite a shock that a dentist would be telling me this and that other dentists would actually do that. (To my cousin, Breanna, who is a dental hygienist, I'm sure this is only SOME dentists and most are probably very honest - sorry to you that I am bashing dentists. But to the rest of you - most of them suck).

Needless to say, I have not been to the dentist in two years since that time and have been avoiding it and putting it off as much as possible. I even thought that the need for "another root canal" on the same tooth was actually just another scam and that it wouldn't be that big of a deal to put it off. But now, this root canal that needs to be fixed is starting to give me a pain in my head and I can't eat anything cold or hot in that entire area. I have even started feeling pain on the other side of my temple and head. Maybe its sympathy pains or maybe its a cavity or another need for a different root canal. Whatever the case, I am in SERIOUS need of a dentist but I am so scared because I know they will have a lot to do.

My point in going on and on with these mundane details is to PLEASE get some recommendations for a dentist from anyone who reads this. I don't care where it is, but I need someone to tell me that they know of a dentist who is personable, sensitive, patient and willing to be honest and take time with my neurosis. Maybe its all the sugar cookies that I eat, but something is going on with these teeth that I just can't put off anymore. Thanks!!

5 comments:

Lindz said...

I love the dentist. But you need to find the right one. I loved my childhood dentist but he is not taking new patients. I am sad. I need to find one too. I went to family legacy dental by my house and they are fine but they are always trying to sell their services. I thought dentists are just supposed to do the care you actually need.

just jen said...

total care dental in american fork, michelle jorganson is her name...awesome.
also brian chudleigh in lehi...he was from my mission and he was a nice elder...but i don't know about nice dentist. just another option.

martha corinna said...

I don't have any recommendations for I too, hate the dentist.
I had an alcoholic dentist when I was young. He used to go get drunk across the street during lunch. That's all I have to say about that.

Brooke said...

I'm any dentists FAVORITE patient because I've had like 5 root canals, an apicilectomy, etc etc and I could just go on forever about all the trauma! I HATE the dentist!!! The only really, consistently good dentist I went to was when I was at BYU on the BYU health insurance. His name was Corbin Matthews, DDS and he works in 2 different offices (one on University Ave in Provo w/ his brothers and dad who are also dentists) and one office by BYU. First and foremost, he has hygienists who clean your teeth superbly and they take an hour to do it! I've never had such clean teeth!!! But I wouldn't say he's totally patient and will take an hour with each patient, but he does a good job and doesn't mislead you etc etc. He's my fav. My aunt went to his brother Blake and she only trusts him. Markey Mayne and some others have gone to Matthews Dental as well and I've never heard any complaints. Corbin's brother Jeremy has an office across the street in Saratoga and I looked into going to him but he isn't a contracted provider on my insurance and it was going to cost like $200 w/out for a check up. I will say--I actually do know of ONE dentist who will sit and talk to you forever and LISTEN to you but he is a new dentist. His name is Joshua Bateman, DDS in AF. He did my last root canal. The only hesitation I have is that although he did a great job on the root canal, the crown wasn't put on ideally perfect (some of the silver underneath shows from the outside) and the most recent dentist I went to see said he didn't do a good job with the crown. Also, he doesn't clean your teeth like a hygienist does. We just need to talk in person about this one.

Rachel Leigh said...

Lindsay already mentioned him, but you might try him anyway, his name is Evan Perry in Provo. I love him, he was our childhood dentist, but I still go to him and I love him to death. He is so great, and anytime you have work done, even a filling, he calls you that night from home just to see how you are doing and if you need anything. I absolutely love him and the hygienists are really nice (all except one... but I have only had her once). Anyway, just a thought because he is the nicest man you will ever meet.