Saturday was our ward Christmas Party and I started the day off with 630am YoGA (yes!), playing a few Christmas songs on the piano for a friend's voice student's recital (about 12 little girls did a song and dance), stopping off at another lady's house in the ward for a Cookie Lee party (jewelry), hanging out at my parents and then finally zipping on over to the party. I had Bren strapped in the stroller and Cam running wild as I played the piano for two of the numbers. They had VOCAL POINT perform a few songs at the beginning and throughout because their director, James Stevens, is in our ward so we get special privileges. It was a lot of fun AND ...Santa was there. Now, I have to say that I was involved in a tiny bit of the planning for this production, but I didn't realize that Santa was going to be the one who narrated it. Halfway through the performance, I realized that Santa was trying to get people to remember that he was part of the spirit of giving, but everything that he did led back to the birth of Jesus and the true meaning of the holiday. All the symbols of Christmas were part of a greater design with divine purposes and he was trying to get people to teach their children.
....Seriously cool. Santa is ok.
Sunday, December 16, 2007
Santa is ok
Posted by
Mrs. Misses
at
9:21 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
I thought a lot about the Santa stuff too. Isn't it funny how you have your ideas pre-kids, and then they change when reality hits? There was a big discussion on one of the digiscrap boards about "not doing Santa" and I was surprised at how many people were talking about how they "will not lie to their children" and blah, blah, blah-- and I just decided that I'm not going to start anything really- I'm just going to introduce Santa and let them get whatever ideas they want- except the part where they start asking Santa for a million things- that's the only part I don't like. The other day Ben was looking at the ToysRUs ad (new fave in our house) and grabbed a coloring book and said he needed to "put that on his list" and I went- oh no, where did he learn about a Christmas list? Then I realized he was just putting it on his "grocery list". haha. I want them to learn about gifts being from your heart, not that you get what you ask for if you're good... but yeah. I decided when they're old enough to understand- I'll teach them what Santa is really about- but it won't be like- Santa is real, then suddenly not real.... yeah, something like that. I'm sure it will all change yearly.
BTW- I emailed you for your address... still need it so I can send you a Christmas card ;)
i told you santa was good.
I am so pro Santa you don't even want to start with me.
I think we need a Santa. Santa represents magic (is magic not real?), Santa represents responsibility for choices (very important), Santa represents someone watching over you (good stuff), and Santa represents belief in the good, the generous, and faith. I want my children to believe in all these things and to be able to enjoy the magic of childhood, whether Santa is symbolic or not.
Anyway, enough of my soap box, I love Santa.
Post a Comment