Thursday, June 11, 2009

Road to Hana

Sunday morning was the same as every other morning - wake up whenever and eat the fabulous breakfast buffet.  But afterward, we got in our shiny Mustang convertible and drove to the other side of the island to drive the Road to Hana.  


The first stop, though, was in a town called Wailea, where we tried to track down Dog the Bounty Hunter, his vuluptuous wife Beth and their sons Leland, Duane-Lee and daughter "Baby Lyssa."  
Yes, that's what they call her.  
Rhett and I watch the show a lot.  
What's more fun than watching frizzy-haired mullet-flauntin', leather gloves-with-only-the-Lee-Press-On-Nails-showin', huge belt buckle wearin',  steel-toed booted WT search for other doped-up WT?  
What's more fun than watching that?  
Trying to find them in Maui!  
But, my navigation on my phone came up with a dead-end search.  
We were on the right road but there was no Da Kine Bail Bonds to be found anymore.  
They're too busy chasin' down fugitives on the big island or in Colorado, I guess Brodda.
So we kept on going to Pa'ia where we stopped for gas and grub and even a little Dramamine.  
I wasn't about to repeat feeding the fishes, although this time it would be feeding the bushes, or something.  
The Dramamine worked like a charm, though.  
I will definitely be spending some money on that next time.  

The road wound back and forth for three hours up to the little town of Hana.  


I especially loved the furry-looking groups of bamboo and the Rainbow Eucalyptus trees.  


We saw native flora and fauna and lots of waterfalls, ocean coves, scenic views and other travelers.  






We even stopped a few times and hiked around. 
Haleakala State Park was one of our favorites with the black beach, hidden pools of nasty cave water, cardinals and foliage. 





I wanted to take Rhett all the way to the Seven Pools, but the road was closed for some reason.  Our last stop was Hasagawa's General Store.  
I kept telling Rhett the whole time up that we had to find this little old-school convenience store that I remembered from the last time I was in Maui 10 years ago.  I had bought pommade in that little store and it had become my favorite hair product at the time.  We found the store but it was very obvious and "THE stop" in Hana.  I thought it had been more obscure than that, but my romantic memories had failed me.  It was still cool but we bought ice cream instead of pommade and headed back down the Road the way we came, away from Hana and some amazing views.  

All in all it was almost a 6 hour trip and we were exhausted.  
We were beat but went to dinner at a great restaurant down the walkway from our hotel.  
It was some amazing food and a great ending to a looooong day!

1 comment:

Emily A. Gunderson said...

You are freakin' hilarious about the DOG. Sam had to get stitches one time because Gabe and I were neglecting him. We were busily watching Dog and crew round up slightly less ugly people than himself.

Love ya!