Saturday, June 27, 2009

No Training Wheels

I was sitting in the driveway,
trying to hack parts of an old bed from IKEA into square foot garden material
and suddenly Cam calls to me to look at what he was doing.
And what was he doing?
Riding his bike without his training wheels!
We had taken off the training wheels a few days earlier
but never had time to really show him how to do it.
He just figured out how to do it on his own and was suddenly pedaling around!
I was freaking out so excited for him and he was beaming.
Rhett wasn't home yet, so I told him he should keep riding and practicing
and we'd surprise dad when he got home.
I got out my camera and was taking pictures
and just was surprised myself at how coordinated he was.

I'm sure the bikes that they have at his daycare have helped him learn to balance,


but he figured out the pedals all on his own.
SO ADORABLE.


He rode around the driveway and back and forth on the path to the backyard
and we even practiced how we would show Daddo when he got home.

When Rhett got home, he was so excited too
and got out my bike (he sold his a few years ago)
and took Cam up to the church parking lot
to ride around a big open space.


Cam threw a HUGE FIT
when we went back home
and said he needed to put his bike away.

What a fun milestone for us as parents and of course, especially for Cam.
I don't remember when I very first learned to ride a bike
but I do remember that banana seat bike being a part of my daily life as a kid.
Rhett remembers seeing his neighbor teaching his son to ride a bike
and asked if he could try it too.
The dad held him up for just a second
and helped him figure out how to ride and then Rhett was off, never looking back.
Like father, like son, I guess.
Cam already has already been asking to ride his bike everyday
but I'm so excited for him to make sweet memories on his bike
without his training wheels.


He's come a long way from when we first bought his this bike two years ago
(yes, the bike still fits him).
Or when we first bought him the helmet that he wouldn't take off.

Glad that helmet doesn't fit him anymore.
At least something has grown in the last two years.

4 comments:

just jen said...

yeah for cameron!

i can't get connor to ride his bike...even with training wheels. maybe if i show him this it will give him more confidence.

prolly not, though.

AMiller said...

I will have to tell Cate. She will be so excited for him.

Crystal Hadlock said...

those are the cutest picture EVER go cam!

Katie said...

wooooo! Go Cam! That's awesome! He needs to come ride bikes with Johnny some time (although J has training wheels).