Sunday, August 26, 2007

Fornication and the City

I found myself smiling and laughing at tonight's episode of Sex and the City on TBS. I just don't see how people don't LOVE this show. They have such great writing and put the characters in situations that you can totally relate to or that you wish you could relate to. Like tonight when Carrie opens the stock market, Charlotte thinks about becoming a Jew for Harry, Miranda realizes she is in love with Steve and picks a fight with him and then Carrie sees Aiden for the first time in a long time and he has a baby....such a great episode. I have seen it probably seven times, but am captivated by each word as if it was the first time. I know that the show has a lot of sex in it and some swearing, but when you watch the TBS version, it's pretty cleaned up. It takes out some of the "bad" and leaves all the good, good, good (which some of bad that they leave in is what makes it GOOD). It has a bad reputation in good old Utah County, though, and I learned this the hard way. In Park City, I couldn't wait to meet at the water cooler in the faculty lounge (there really is one in there and we really do meet in there and chat) and talk about a recent episode and relate it to our lives with some anecdote. But in the first week living here, I realized it was more taboo than anything...


I was invited to the park with some of the mom's. They got together every MWF from 9-10:30am or so. Cam and I always ended up at the park around then anyway, so we started going to hang out with some of the other kids and moms in the neighborhood during that time. The kids all goofed around and played and the moms would congregate at the benches and talk.
Probably the second or third day out playing at the park, the moms started talking about babies and baby names (inevitable around these parts). Two of the moms were pregnant and each of us had at least one kid so it was a common topic of conversation. They started talking about names and one of the ladies mentioned how her sister had wanted the same name that she had wanted to name HER daughter. This started a whole rapid-fire hub-bub of how something similar like that had happened to them as well. At a lull in the conversation, I told my version of how my cousin totally stole my girl name thinking she had come up with it all herself and I laughed and continued to relate how it was like that episode of Sex and the City when Charlotte finds out that their friend has taken the name that she created when she was little (Shayla). Her friend totally acts as if she doesn't know what Charlotte is talking about and says how she had thought of that name all on her own but Charlotte is furious and they all storm out, happy to be leaving the stuffy situation (you know the one - season 6 episode 75).
So picture this...I'm starting to relate this story of my name that was stolen and then I go into my calm retelling of the episode, but as soon as I say "SEX" forget that I even said "and the City" or anything after that because suddenly eyes were averted to the ground, one person pretended to look for her kids and the rest had blank stares as if they were trying to look through me to avoid what I was saying. I started out telling the story with enthusiasm and excitement ready to hear the familiar "I LOVE that episode" and to connect with them but quickly realized what was happening and finished the story in lightening speed to try and change the subject. Welcome to the neighborhood. Little did I know what a different world I was living in. I still love SEX in the City and will continue to shock the masses with stories of how it has affected and related to my life. The only problem is I might have to start calling it Fornication and the City.

5 comments:

just jen said...

i remember that episode...isn't that the one where the girl who's having the baby used to go crazy at parties? go ahead and shock them, if you shock them they're not best friend material anyway!

Katie Riggs Hansen said...

Sex. sex, sex sex, sex sex.
I am just putting a sexy spell around your blog to protect it from those who might want you to be more conservative.
Sex, sex, sex, sex, sex, sex, sex.

Rachel Leigh said...

People around here are crazy. They all pretend it shocks them, but really it's just a show. That is what I have decided anyway, or maybe just hope.. that not everybody is that prude!

Nathan said...

LOL!!! This made me laugh!!! Oh I wish I had been there....

Lindz said...

At least you have people your age to shock. I live around mostly old people. aaghh.