Rhett and I have not laughed in a long time. We are too busy dealing with a three year old who tries to manipulate every situation and does not want to follow directions, a four month old who has problems with his digestive system and most recently has developed croup and thrush and we are too busy trying to work around a schedule that does not allow us to see each other a lot. He manages a store and has no employees to help him with the work day so he is in SLC by at least 9am and does not get off until he closes at 7pm, Monday through Saturday. I usually don't see him until 8pm, after I have had a long day with the kids, the house, my job or whatever else makes me cranky, tired and feeling overwhelmed.
The other night, it was about midnight and we were just getting ready to go to sleep and Rhett turned over, suddenly and oddly remembering something from when he was a kid. Brenden was sleeping about three feet away so he quietly whispered to me this silly story of when he was a teenager. At first, I didn't think it was that funny and was ready to go to sleep, but in his ambien-induced stupor, he described the situation and started laughing hysterically, which started me going. Of course, it was that suppressed laugh of knowing you have to be quiet because it is innappropriate to laugh, like during a quiet meeting or a family prayer or when your four month old is silently slumbering three feet away. Rhett's hysterical, suppressed laugh only made me laugh harder and as soon as we were catching our breath and sighing from the energy spent laughing, Rhett would try to say something in a quiet voice but the force of his laughter only made whispering impossible and we were again rolling on the bed in squeaky fits.
I haven't laughed with him like that in a long time. It was well overdue...
Tuesday, August 28, 2007
Immigration Car
Posted by
Mrs. Misses
at
9:56 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
Those are my favorite kind of nights. We haven't had one for a while either. Sometimes it feels like life gets in the way, alway so busy!
We haven't laughed like that in a while either.
I've got to come up with some material.
oh--alley joy--I love this story! It made me laugh. My Dad has been in town and the other day Trav, Dad and I were out for breakfast and Dad and I started telling stories about Andy and his ability to disarm everyone who may happen to be angry with him by the means of his smart-ass-ness...and we could not stop laughing...laughter is good! So good. I miss you and Rhett, tell 'em hey... and I finally posted again, so....
love and miss you!
i wish colin would talk to me before we go to sleep. for some reason that is the time of day that i suddenly remember all the things i forgot to tell him all day. unfortunately he falls asleep the minute his head touches the pillow. i am jealous of that.
Post a Comment