Tuesday, August 7, 2007

TWO YEARS

It is really starting to bug me that laundry is an all day chore. I knew it was, but I have so many other things going on that it snuck right past me. Now that all I do is clean and babysit and clean up and wash stuff and pick up stuff, I've noticed how laundry is not a quick thing. I started at it this morning and it's past midnight and I'm still doing it. But I can't just leave it undone because i hate when you leave a load in the washer for a day or two (or more, once) and it's all stinky and you have to wash it again and I just got my electric bill and I can't afford to do the same laundry more than once so I'm up doing it still. I have to do something while the dryer is going...might as well complain about it on this blog. And to make matters worse, Rhett works for a job where he has to wear a shirt and tie most days and that is a lot of ironing. Even his t-shirt days are these nice t-shirts with the complany logo that I have to iron! I still haven't quite figured out how to dry delicate clothing to the temperature needed to avoid ironing. Sometimes, you dry the clothes hot enough and they come out crisp and not needing a full iron. But those nicey clothes that you have to walk on egg shells around can't stand the heat. And I swear "not knowing how to iron" is the lamest excuse in the book for not having to iron your own clothes. All of my kids will be ironing by the time they're reached braces and there will not be this slave labor given over to one person -ME- to do all the ironing. So I've designated a day that I've decided to just do a whole bunch of ironing and get the crap over with....Thursday. Why that day? Because my other days are full....Monday - mop, clean microwave, dust...Tuesday - toilets, load of towels...Wednesday - shoWers, load of whites, whatever else...Thursday - just think of things and do them (IRON)...Friday - whatever is freaking leftover (more laundry probably). I tried to make it a...what do you call em....uh....thingy with the letters and then another word with the same letter...and then you remember it easier...I can't remember!! That is just shameful....anyway, the thing where you try and do something clever to remember something. This is sad. I can't even describe it intelligently or remember what the thing is called that helps you remember stuff....you know what I'm talking about. Not that I forget what needs to be cleaned, but I seriously go from day to day and from dirty dish to another shoe left on the floor and have no idea what day it is, let alone the date. I'm doing ok with the month, but to try and remember when the last time I cleaned the shower was could be disastrous. I worked that method in my last house and when we were moving, I realized I had only cleaned the shower maybe three times in TWO YEARS! The time went by so fast and I just kept saying I'll do it tomorrow after my tutoring, when I get home from work, when Cameron is taking his nap and then tomorrow was TWO YEARS LATER. So now I have this fool-proof plan. Sort of. Only, sometimes I don't get to deep-cleaning the microwave on Mondays and it goes two weeks without it, but I guess, in the end, it's better than TWO YEARS. I won't be missing that two year plan while I'm a stay-at-home mom, no siree. That one can go. Yay laundry and clean showers.

3 comments:

Lindz said...

Ya, laundry is a never ending chore that never seems to be done. I swear I get all the laundry done and then Ben will ask me, "Are there any clean garments?" I don't remember there being so much house work when I was working. Now. that is all I do laundry, dishes, and everything else. oh well. good luck with your laundry.

martha corinna said...

I hate laundry. I don't mind putting it in the washer(easy) or putting it in the dryer(piece of cake), but the folding! Folding is the worst, like I have time to fold. I end up with stacks of laundry on my laundry room counter. Don't look in my laundry room.

just jen said...

i agree with martha...folding is the WORST. if only i was rich to have a maid or something. also remember that my laundry is in the garage so i have to make an effort to actually leave the house just to get started...when can i have a new house?