Cam and Bren started at a new school (daycare) this week. The school is about 3 minutes away from my work in SLC. It is convenient, fun, has age-appropriate curriculum for Cam's 4 year old class as well as Bren's toddler class, a huge gym with many, MANY toys, a large outdoor COVERED playground, a small cafeteria area where nutritious meals and snacks are served and security cameras in every room. It is the most expensive and FABULOUS thing that has happened to us in a long time.The boys are only there on two of the days that I work but I am able to take them anywhere from 7am-6pm during those days. Of course, I would feel badly about leaving them the entire time (wouldn't I?), but I was able to go grocery shopping WITHOUT stress and hassle after school today. Even more exciting was before school, when Rhett and I were able to go on a DATE. We took the kids there an hour early and then went to IHOP and stocked up on enough grease and carbohydrates to last us for at least the next week. It was historic and made us feel so free and young again. Then we had to go to work.
Despite the fact that he is twice as old as Cameron was when we got rid of his binkie, the beginnings of buck teeth alone were reason to get rid of it. After school on Tuesday, they told us that Brenden took his nap on a MAT so I figured is was time for bigger transitions. Rhett and I have been agonizing about getting rid of his need for the binkie and had been preparing to try naps or bedtime without it but have never gotten up the courage to just do it.
To be honest, we were really scared! But I just figured it was time, so I got Bren ready for bed, said, "Uh-oh, I can't find the binkie. It's all gone! All finished (with sign)! No more binkie!"
and put him to sleep. I did put his blankie and bear in there, as well as a soft book and a baby toothbrush, just in case (come on, everyone's using a toothbrush as a distraction nowadays).
We watched him roll around for about 45 minutes (on our home cameras) but then he was asleep! No major crying or fussing!! We haven't given it to him since then and he has been SO FINE. I can't even tell you what a relief that is. We are so proud of him. And us. Thank heavens he is an easy-going kid who doesn't freak out (majorly) about things. We will do better with #3, when that happens. I mean, yeah, give the NEW ones the binkies but there is a limit and we definitely went over it. Phew!



2 comments:
I am so, SO happy for you that you finally have some reliable and great daycare. i am sure you have ulcers because of all the stress you have had to deal with trying to find they boys some childcare.
and you even went on a date? how creative and fun. i don't know the next time colin and i will get to do that. *sigh*
yeah for you!
Okay, not to be a nervous nelly-but DON'T leave him in his crib with a toothbrush! Haven't you heard the horror stories about kids and things like that? Straws, popsicle sticks, suckers, toothbrushes-whatever-They can get hurt really bad by falling on it-Rosie totally got a HUGE chunk taken out of her cheek cause she fell with a sucker in her mouth-her gums were all bloody and there was like, a sucker shaped hole on the inside of her cheek...
but...
way to go on the binkie-free-ness :D hehehe
Post a Comment